Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Masking Motors Recommendations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Masking Motors Recommendations
Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 10:55 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have any recommendations for masking motors?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 11:11 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
talk to Bobby Franklin

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-02-2010 01:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

I have a couple of complexes with Franklin Design masking motors and they suck!!! The damned circuit boards in them have a ridiculous force-delay timer built into them, which gets in the way of operation.

That isn't the worst part though. After some time goes by, the godamned things start randomly closing and opening on their own, right in the middle of the movie!

We have had so many problems with them when the third location's motors were delivered and installed and they started spazzing out, we forced the front end company to remove them and replace them with MDI motors, at their expense.

I am STILL dealing with problems at the two complexes of Franklin shit motors every week.

Franklin motors would get a solid F rating if I was to review them. Stay away from them at all costs. If you want a good reliable motor, buy an MDI.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 03:15 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 10 plex installed with the Franklin motors - so far no issues after 9 months. But I will make a point of watching them for the above mentioned odd problems and if any pop up I will post back here.

Thanks for mentioning your issues - fuel for a future conversation if we start having issues

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2010 03:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MDI also makes one similar to the Franklin motor... I don't know which one is better than the other but there are a number of both types in this area and there has only ever been a problem with one of them t install.

Mulone also makes them... I believe out of garage door openers... Don't know if it comes with the remote or not...

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 03:34 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Brad.... Hit a Nerve did I?

Bobby's one of the best screen guys there are. Between him and MDI, I wouldn't know who to recommend.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-02-2010 04:44 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all are nuts.. ADC (Automatic Devices Company) makes the best/most reliable masking motors I have found so far. [Big Grin]

The Logi-stop model allows up to 20(!) preset stops, a great thing for all those using D-Crapema and the multiple versions of formats.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use ADC ones here at a 15-screener. In the 5.5 years I've been here, we've only had one problem, and that was some idiotic booth monkey telling it to close the masking over and over again, after it was already closed. Most of our motors look original, I'll have to see if I can find a date on one of them.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at the Crossroads 16 in OKC we had several ADC motors burn up. ADC eventually sent out all new motors and they arrived just before I left Regal.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-02-2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy, define burned up, was it the actual motor that fried or was it a control issue?

ANY masking motor can/will burn up if it was not sized correctly by the original installer. Regal wasn't known to use the best installers sometimes.

I have had my ADC Logi-stop actually pull the masking track off the ceiling at UCI without damaging the motor at all. (this was caused by people leaving tables in the path of the masking on the stage).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-02-2010 05:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the MDI motor is the original. Franklin's motor is the cheap knockoff, and you get what you pay for.

I recommend the MDI motors because they have never failed me, the price is right and they are a simple and reliable performer.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-02-2010 05:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The Grand-Poo-BAH is right on target... I always installed MDI and have never had any problem.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-02-2010 06:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ADC is a more solid machine than MDI, for sure. The logistop does have its own quirk. It accurately records where you set your stops but it has no anticipator so it does not stop until it hits your stop point. The problem is that there is a finite coast down time so it misses. Try hitting the same stop button over an over again and you will see it moves a little this way, then a little that way...always just barely overshooting.

What they need to do is figure their coast down time and build that into its "logic" so that it costs down to the right point and if you are within a certain range, not hunt around.

MDI got the control thing right in that it slowly ramps up and ramps down. It only has 10-stops...which is plenty for most applications but woefully inadequate for fancy cinemas like the AFI/Silver...where you have to have multitudes of film formats, video formats, computer formats...10 just does not cut it.

The MDI also suffers from a woefully inadequate chain path. The MDI should have idler sprockets to force the chain to wrap the drive sprocket. in fact, they should have a spring tensioned idler to deal with cord slack as the system moves (all systems have elasticity to them or they will pull themselves apart.

So MDI gets a near miss and you do need to size the motor right. ADC also gets a near miss. Both of them also need to work on their "remote controls" MDI's need a wide box despite being on a single-gang (aka handy box) wall plate or you will not get your wires in.

Steve

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 06:39 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tony,

The motors burned up. The controllers worked fine. If I recall correctly ADC sent out a rep to assess the problem. I never heard what they determined was the cause of problem with the motors.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2010 09:34 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You everyone. This information will be very helpful.

Chase

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: