Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » laser alignment kit to borrow or rent

Author Topic: laser alignment kit to borrow or rent
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2010 01:29 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have or know of a place with a good laser alignment kit that i could borrow or rent to properly align my lamphouses? Feel free to P.M. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-31-2010 07:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to your supplier on this one - maybe they can help on this issue...or call your tech.

-Monte

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 12:39 PM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not align them the "old-fashioned" way?

Pull the lens, get the "rings", and adjust as needed. Much better than any kit.

Jimmy Ezell taught me that 20 years ago, still the best way.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 01:37 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The laser method will give you the chance to aim the reflector EXACTLY at the centre of the gate. Kinoton still makes one I believe although I do have the Alingotron.
Demetris

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 11:16 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Reiter
Jimmy Ezell taught me that 20 years ago, still the best way.
yes, , the best(Jimmy)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2010 03:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! It can be done properly and just about as accurately with out any of that crazy stuff... And believe it or not Jimmy taught me how to do it without all the stuff! Back around 1983 or there abouts.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2010 05:20 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an instructional document or forum thread somewhere that describes alignment methods without using an alignment kit?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2010 05:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would be a somewhat time consumming to write out but perhaps Joe could make a video of how to do it. That's something that should really be on this site.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2010 01:27 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This document is the closest you can find online and pretty much accurate.
Demetris

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-05-2010 02:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, the first sentence my eyes happened to fall on was:

quote:
The first step is to make sure the console or lamphouse is level. Raise or lower the adjustable feet in the base until the system is level, resulting in a level starting point to reference the rest of the system to. (Remember that any unevenness of the curtains or masking will be compensated for later with the filing of the aperture plate.)
The aperture plate??? So if the lamphouse is level, that apparently means the projector is automatically level to the lamphouse. Furthermore if the lamphouse is level, then the screen and masking system MUST be level too. Heck, no need to even worry about that pesky aperture plate...just skew the anamorphic to level it! [puke]

In skimming...

quote:
If checking the brightness with a light meter, the center should read anywhere from 12-16 lumens, with the sides generally three to four lumens less, equal on both sides.
Ummmmmm, while I get the fact that whoever wrote this MEANT to say footlamberts, if I am reading this correct to achieve 16 footlamberts in the center of the picture on a Big Sky console means the sides will only be 4 footlamberts. Really???

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2010 03:52 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they're saying if the center is 16 fL, the sides will be 12-13 fL.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: