Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MUT not working on just one AW3

Author Topic: MUT not working on just one AW3
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 05:39 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When to break down Avatar and the MUT would not work on that platter. I had used it just the night before to break down on another platter and it worked just fine.

I opened up the outlet on the platter and there is nothing visibly wrong. All leads are attached and nothing appears to have fried.

I use a Goldberg reel for most buildup and I usually don't break down on this projector because it's our main house and movie are not usually in there the final week.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2010 06:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brand, make and model please....

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 06:24 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie AW3 3 deck platter. New in 1997.

I should add that it's not working for build up or break down on any deck.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 06:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is everything else functioning correctly for payout/take-up?

Have you checked the fuses?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 11:14 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the MUT works on the platter in one house, but not in another, then I would suspect the female socket at the bottom of the mast. Especially if it is the older retangular 6-pin 'Jones' type. The tangs inside spread apart and so there's no connection, even though it may look OK at a casual glance. Try wiggling the connector around a little and see if it works.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 11:36 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try all three decks? I have had the make-up pushbuttons go bad on a few AW3's.

And John is correct, the Jones connectors can get loose over time. A quick fix is to gently put a few bends (kinda like "s" bends) in the pins of the MUT plug.

The cause for the loose Jones plugs is usually lazy folks yanking on the cord to unplug the MUT.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-03-2010 11:08 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumped up to ask Justin if he found out what the problem was...

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your model have the pushbuttons for switching to Make-Up, or is it the newer switch type (Christie doesn't seem to differentiate between the two)?

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-08-2010 01:02 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this same problem. It was usually the connector at the base of the platter. Either somethings come loose or it's wired differently than the plug on the MUT.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-09-2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's really strange is the problem now appears to be with the MUT. I used this MUT to break down a movie on one platter (#5) and it worked find. The next day I tried to use it on another platter (#3) and it wouldn't work. A couple days later I tried to use it on the same platter it worked on (#5) and it didn't work at all.

The odd thing is I have had some intermittent problems on the platter where it didn't initially work (#3). This problem is probably related to the plug on the tree and I will try to replace that once I get the MUT working again.

Fortunately I have a MUT at out drive-in which I was able to bring over for the time being.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-09-2010 05:53 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the plug for the MUT, I've seen where the soldered connection at the male plug breaks, but the rubber insulation holds it in place on the terminal. So, it will still work, but flexing it breaks the connection. What may be confusing the issue is both the female socket might be worn, and the connection is broken in the male plug.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: