Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theater complains about streaks from Film-Guard

Author Topic: Theater complains about streaks from Film-Guard
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2010 08:30 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been treating every film that comes through our theater with film-guard for about 7 years now following the instructions to the letter. This week, I got a complaint from the projectionist at a theater that I circuited a print to. He said that the film was damaged and he was gonna request a new print. I asked him what was wrong with it 'cause it looked perfect on our screen. He said there were "oily streaks on the film" I told him that was normal with a film-guard treated print and that it wouldn't show up on the screen. That was the end of the conversation. I don't know if he requested another print. What do I say to the distributor if they call and say I damaged the print (by protecting it using film-guard)?

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 11:04 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(edit)

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2010 12:10 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell them that if they're disturbed by the coating, that it is easily removable by a bath in any normal film solvent such as perc or hexane.

Sounds like this other guy is just trying to give you a hard time, though.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 08:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film-guarded film looks horrifying on the bench to those not "in the know," but looks fine on the screen of course. Just tell them it's Film-guard and point them to this site for info.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 10:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the very reason I tell every distributor I receive film from that I use FilmGuard and I tell them to let me know if they want me to stop using it. That way nobody can try to blame me for anything. If there ever are any questions I can tell them that I already have the go-ahead from the distributor.

I have never had any complaints in more than 10 years of using FilmGuard. In fact, just the opposite! People have thanked me for cleaning their prints.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2010 10:39 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dude is probably feeling a little bit stupid that he called you if he uses the print and sees that it looks better than the average print! If the distributor rings you regarding it do you think they are going to worry when you tell them that you cleaned it and it left your venue in better condition than when you recieved it. If he returns it I am sure the next printwont be as good!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-31-2010 04:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a very common mistake from people who don't have film cleaners or never bothered to learn about them. What I normally do is explain to them that if they took their white cotton glove and gently wiped off the coating over a frame or two, they would see a pristine print below the protective coating and to project it before they think it is a bad print.

For the studios, I remind them that the coating will naturally evaporate over several months to a year'ish.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2010 07:49 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I think this dude had never heard of film-guard. Likely He was under the impression that my projector was spewing oil all over the print.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2010 09:30 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This guy obviously doesent know what this stuff does..

I will continue to use FG at my multiplex.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-31-2010 10:02 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first started using FilmGuard I labeled the tail of every print:

"FilmGuard applied: <DATE> -- http://www.film-tech.com/products/filmguard.html"

But, since I never got any complaints about FilmGuard, I quit doing that a few years ago.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-31-2010 10:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't do that with my prints since I apply fresh Filmgaurd once a week with new media pads. It's be a long-ass piece of tape with all of the dates for some movies! I have never received any complaints, either.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-31-2010 02:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just barcode it Joe!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-31-2010 05:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of just recording the information onto the mag strip since all we run is 70mm.

Bob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2010 07:06 PM      Profile for Bob Jones   Email Bob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This brings up a question I have been wondering - what percentage of theatres would you say use Film Guard and a media cleaner? I'm trying to get our local art house to start using it - and I want to sound educated about the percentage of other theatres that use it.

Not that it is scientific - but I only see it on about 15% of prints coming from the depot for theatrical projection (we are not first run) -- but I see it on about 60-70% of prints from the collecting community.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-31-2010 07:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definitely say that more don't use it than do, so you'd definitely stand out amongst the dirty crowd.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: