Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Surround speaker wiring (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Surround speaker wiring
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2010 10:10 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the best way to wire 3 surrounds on a side wall to bring them to 8 ohms(or 4 ohms)? They are 8 ohms each.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2010 10:35 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What amp are you using?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-29-2010 10:39 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wire all three in parallel, if I recall the math correctly it'll work out to around 3.5 ohms...or in any event if you have a modern amp it would handle the load even if it's under 4 ohms.

The other, less satisfactory solution is to wire two of them in series, and the third one in series with a 75 watt or higher wirewound 8 ohm resistor. Then wire the two series sets in parallel which will get you 8 ohms.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-29-2010 11:13 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, definitely parallel if your amp can handle it - with modern amps this should be no problem.

Doing series or series/parallel plays havoc with damping and phase issues.

Also, if you have enough cable, home run 'em, that is run each speaker's feed back to the rack. Makes it much easier to work on things later on.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2010 02:26 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I believe that wiring the three 8 ohm speakers in parallel would put you at 2.66 ohms.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 12:08 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tom..I was pretty sure it was around 3 ohms, and had for some reason thought it was 6 ohms...I edited my first post.

In any event most modern amps, especially for the surrounds, can handle that load, I know the QSC DCA's will.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-30-2010 12:32 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Handy Speaker Impedance Calculator

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
regretably many older ones can't as they have issues delivering that much current

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 01:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..pretty slick little calculator, Phil .. thx for this link.

Couple of years back, I did a single house that just had side surrounds and also with three speakers per side...and I wired them in parallel attached to Peavy 400 amps.

Since surrounds isn't going to be doing the large output demand like the front speakers, these amps could handle the usage.

-Monte

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2010 06:10 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Wienholt
Actually, I believe that wiring the three 8 ohm speakers in parallel would put you at 2.66 ohms
There are other real world factors, long cable runs and cable type can also increase the ohmage resistance.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 11:29 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I also thank you for that link!! [beer] [thumbsup]

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 12:42 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The amp they have will not handle 2 ohms. I may just have to split the surrounds to a third channel on another amp.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2010 01:25 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Doing series or series/parallel plays havoc with damping and phase issues.
I was taught to series/paralell to reach a value close to the resistance of the speaker that the amp will tolerate. For example if the surround speakers are 4 ohm's try to come out as close to 4 ohm's as possible. Is this not right, and if so why?

( I know that it will cause some speakers to be slightly louder than others so I always tried to put those at the front of the house)

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-01-2010 05:50 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should try to go for the lowest impedance the amp will feed so 4 Ohms is doable for all good amps except when in bridge mode.

Now, the subject of where to place the loudest speaker in your situation is the matter of some debate.

Putting it in the front works if you believe it needs to be louder as you are closer to the main channels and of course they are louder as you get closer to the screen.

I would tend to put the loudest surround speakers in the last one back or on the back wall at it helps reinforce the idea that the surrounds are coming from the side and back.

The patron sitting in the good seats should not get the idea the surrounds are coming from in front of them.

This is just me talking here.

I hear Steve getting ready to correct me as I write

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-01-2010 08:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really, I'm in total agreement with you, Sam. I also have been known to put in power resistors (similar wattage to the surround speakers) to ensure an effective match. I also use amps like the QSC DCA-1222...it will safely run in to 1.6-Ohms...so five 8-Ohm speakers can run in parallel. That normally covers all of my situations as I will increase channels after that.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: