Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reused prints

Author Topic: Reused prints
Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this has happened to anyone before, but its a first for me. Every 6 months we do a double feature kids show for a local kids group and they always want Bee Movie and Over The Hedge. We opened both of these prints originally, but never received the same print twice, until now. Our copy of Bee movie was our 3rd copy during initial run, print #5014. I found it highly unlikely that we could get a print back like this. Any other crazy situations like this?

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 05:38 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it all the time with the kids shows. Particularly if they hold the print at the depot.

30 years ago when theatres ran more rep, it was pretty common to get the same print time after time. Even now with rep, you can request the print#

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-28-2010 06:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
When the run is over they don't save every copy. Usually they only save a couple at each depot. The odds are actually very good on repertory prints that you will get the same print twice.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2010 07:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our copy of Bee movie was our 3rd copy during initial run,
Please tell us that you're a big multiplex and had 3 prints...not that you destroyed the first two! [Eek!]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-28-2010 09:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens all the time at festivals. Most of the films will only have one or two prints, and many different festivals have similar programming policies and often play the same titles. Anyone who works at multiple festivals will see the same prints.

It's rarer with mainstream titles, but I have occasionally run across a print with my handwriting on it that I may have handled several years previously.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2010 09:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Mike we don't destroy prints here, not since I've taken over anyways. We had 3 prints of Bee in a 15-screener. I don't think I've had to request a single new print unless it was used when we received it in the 3 years I've been here.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2010 12:22 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the late 70's to mid 80's when "Rocky Horror" was the king of midnight showings, I think our SLC depot had only four copies of that print.

For every time we'd bring that show back, it came in the same cans, same print number and the way I rewound the print back on the shipping reels was the same.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2010 06:53 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every April the theater I was at would run the
Clark Gable - Jeanette MacDonlad classic "SAN
FRANCISC0" (1936) to commorate the anniversary
of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.(4/18/1906)

It was a beautiful print! (Change-overs only!!!)
Every year I'd get the same print back, still
with the same tape I'd used to tape down the
leaders the previous year and with the handwritten
reel numbers I'd marked the leaders with several
years ago.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2010 10:54 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was probably the Turner library print, and the only one available. I'm glad to hear it stayed in good condition.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2010 11:19 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the same print of Mississippi Burning at two different locations, six months apart. First at the 41st Avenue Playhouse in Capitola CA when the movie came out, then the print went to a theatre in San Diego and then back to me in San Jose, after I had been promoted to GM and transferred to a dollar house in San Jose.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: