Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Jax Lite cracking sound. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Jax Lite cracking sound.
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2010 09:42 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably know the answer to this question, but I just want to bounce it off you guys to see if I'm right.

Booth:
(2) RCA 9050 sound heads with Super Simplex and ORC 1000 lamps.
CP45 with Jax Lite and kneisley exciter supply.

Right machine is fine. Sound is good (for a jaxlite), decodes fine, no hum, pops or cracking noise.

Left machine... has a popping/snapping noise, seems to be mostly in the left speaker (bleeding over into center), right channel has it, but faint. Very little buzz, not noticable in playback. Noise is only there when film is playing. If machine is on (lamp, motor, etc.) but has NO FILM in it, there is no popping/snapping sound. Only when film is present.

I think it's static build up from the running of the film in the projector (especially since its winter and dry) and its discarging on the cell and is being picked up in the cell. I just don't know how to isolate it. The wiring is set up as normal except the sheild is not hooked up at either end (projector or processor). When it is, I do get a buzz in the sound. If I try, grounding the cell to the casting, nothing seems to happen. The manual says that you can tap off of one of the LED power leads to the casting but only if there is a buzz or hum. That is not the problem. I did swap the projector inputs and its present on both Projector 1 and 2 inputs, so its definitely from the cell wiring back to the projector.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bernie

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-25-2010 09:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like left machine needs an "A" chain alignment .. optics picking up a bit of the edge of the DTS timecode track if the noise is left/center.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-25-2010 10:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is static probably the sounddrum bearings
I usually add a piece of copper wire hammered flat on the top surface above cell and ground to the soundhead

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-25-2010 10:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a 1050, the sub frame is insulated on rubber standoffs. Be sure grounding cable connects the sub frame to the case of the soundhead. A good place to start. Louis

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-25-2010 10:50 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may have tried this but run the the reel on the good projector and make sure the soundtrack is not scratched. Change any belts that are being used. DTS soundtrack being read will make a high pitched blurrr sound or at least that is the sound I heard when this happens. Make sure all solar cell wiring connections are tight.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2010 10:56 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not the DTS track (print I ran was pre DTS LLP 1993 stock). I know what that sounds like. This is more electrical interference instead of optical.

Gordon: do you have a picture of how you mount the wire? I get the concept, the static is discharged through the wire instead of the cell. How close to the tip of the cell should the wire be? What gauge wire? I'm assuming this has more to do with static and not grounding, right?

Louis: I tried that, didn't do a thing.

I can say this, the snapping noise seamed consistent as if its sometimes more of a pulse, although it can be random at times.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-26-2010 01:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take a piece of 12awg solid and hammer it flat then laminate it to the top of the cell so that the lip of the copper is just slightly forward of the cell so it is just slightly closer to the film than the cell face

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2010 04:24 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we had this exact issue on our pair of westars with jaxlites and a cp45.

This to checl:

The preamp on the offending machine, is it an XLA-650 A or B?

We had 2 B units (difference being they supposedly have balanced outputs) and one machine developed crackles. I eliminated everything except the preamp, so i swapped it for a A varient i had spare (unbalanced version). Then changed the jumper in the CP45 to Proj 2 Unbalanced, did A-Chain and cracking gone for good. I have swapped out the other B preamp for an A now as well, and i have to say our sound is excellent now compared to what it was before.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2010 03:48 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon: how did you laminate the wire to the cell?

Thanks

Bernie

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-26-2010 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd get rid of the Jax Lights... Don't try running BACP scanners off that Kneisley supply either... [uhoh]

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2010 06:48 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
getting rid of the jax lite really isnt an option. Too much money to replace for 2 projectors.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-26-2010 11:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used some epoxy to glue the shield down
LAP associates used to make nice split cells that had a shroud and even vernier adjustment

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2010 11:29 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so get this one. I did everything that everyone suggested. I even ran a leg off the power supply to the chassis of the soundhead. The popping/clicking sound has subsided, but it shows up every now and them. BUT, tonight I ran a hour reel of a film and I was getting this pulsating wooshing sound. When the projector is running with out film, its not present. I spun the sound drum by hand to where it was turning by itself, the sound was recreated. Now what is that about? Seems like I'm picking up the bearings on the drum in the sound. Why? Is it static electricty being cause by friction in the bearing and now that's being discharged? Its strange its only the left machine. Right machine, same set up, is fine.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-07-2010 12:20 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure the solar cell or its bracket is not touching the sound drum? Try temporarily unscrewing the bracket baseplate from soundhead. See if the sound goes away.

You could also have a solar cell with an internal short on one of the 3 wires.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-07-2010 03:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some bearings have caused issues as well

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: