Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Alpha 3 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strong Alpha 3
Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 12:23 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the part numbers to upgrade a strong alpha 3 platter to removable brains from fixed brains.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-20-2010 02:38 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2359 Arm Spindle in Retrofit
1183 Spacer
2357 Control Plate Plug-in adapter (to convert your wired brains to removable brains)

You gonna have to take the 110v wiring that comes out of the arm and attach female 2063 pins to wire that will go in positions 2 and 3 of the Arm Spindle.

Good luck - Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-20-2010 08:56 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte: the adapter comes with pins, wires, and butt connectors.

This is easy to do except for loosening/tightening the nut. I have sometimes used two men and a 6 ft pipe over the end of my socket wrench. (I think they overdid it with the impact wrench.)

I convert 100% of the platters that filter through my office; I HAVE shop air there! Louis

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 10:30 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, as Louis said, the spindles can be a bitch to remove. The first one I tried, I was cussing, sweating and bitching out Potts. When you do the switch, make sure you have a "cheater/breaker bar" handy. Other than that, be sure to order extra 2357 plate adaptors. They tend to break on their own... [Confused] and you'll have to replace these from time to time.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-20-2010 12:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
(I think they overdid it with the impact wrench.)

Funny you say that is that I got two units that on a monthly basis, I have to tighten that flippin' nut..and with the wires already coming through, I have to use channel lock pliers to tighten that nut. If you got a better idea on for me to tighten that nut, please send the info down my way...

thx-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I've never had problems loosening or tightening the nuts. I just use a large open end wrench to do the job. I beleive it's a Craftsman in fact. You may have to turn the wrench over every 1/4 turn when tightening it so you can get the nut run in all the way against the lock washer.

Monte: Use loc-tite... the blue stuff... not the red stuff!

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 02:08 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you're just good at handling nuts [Razz]

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 11:11 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did strong ever offer a manual or is it just remove old shaft replace with new one. We have 9 Alphas and only 2 have the fixed brains. And last minute film moves are not uncommon.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2010 09:10 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I have to use channel lock pliers to tighten that nut.
Channel locks or any other pliers that grip like them, ie vise grips, pipe wrench, Should not be used on bolts since it will destroy the flats, making it impossible to remove.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2010 09:58 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Use loc-tite... the blue stuff... not the red stuff!
[uhoh] There is a lock washer that is supplied with the spindle. Use that instead.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-22-2010 12:24 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K, found a right-size open end wrench that would fit up in tha restricted area and pulled with all of my weight behind that wrench to torque that nut down..and it does have star washer inbetween the nut and the arm, thus no lock-tite needed.

tx-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2010 05:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the locking nut work loose on on many platters over the years. Since it's a waste of time to have to cut the wires and re-crimp them and I don't carry those lock nuts around with me I just drop the nut down and use a bit of Loc-Tite on the threads... which I do carry with me. If you look at the star washer used it is a bit on the thin side and it seems to sometimes compress or slightly flatten over the years.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-24-2010 07:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This loosening is caused by pressure (splicing?) on the outside edge of the platter over time. There is a LOT of mechanical advantage. Notice that the bottom and middle decks are the only ones to loosen? Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-24-2010 01:41 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Voiland
Does anyone know the part numbers to upgrade a strong alpha 3 platter to removable brains from fixed brains.
Yep. It's

Christie part # AW3R [Big Grin]

Save your self the effort and cost, as you can easily find used, good condition AW3r's at reasonable prices as lots of theatres do their D-Crapema conversions. The cost could easily be less than the parts from Wrong. (Locally I have found good used AW3's with MUTs for as little as $500.)

Maybe even free if you're willing to pick up and haul off the platters.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2010 02:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah hum... The AW-3 has been discontinued... Replaced with CP-2000SB, ZX and the new breed just emerging...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: