Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is this a Kinoton intermittent?

Author Topic: Is this a Kinoton intermittent?
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 09:07 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was cleaning out a projection graveyard and came across this intermittent. The movement seems to work smoothly. Anyone know what machine it is from?
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Al Biers
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 09:20 PM      Profile for Al Biers   Email Al Biers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, looks like a Ballantine

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 10:16 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pro-35. Uses a crap plastic framing coupler just like Kinoton! [puke]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-17-2010 10:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, the rear pulley drives the entire head assembly.

the large shaft drives the whole transmission whereas that smaller shaft has that forbidden nylon coupler on it that meets up with the intermittent sprocket and it's the coupler that rolls the sprocket around when one needs to frame when it slides back and forth on that spline.

Make a doorstop out of that unit.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2010 11:11 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want me to take it off your hands Eric?

I might be able to do something useful with it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2010 09:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 4 complete machines here Randy... Come and get them!

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2010 09:54 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 4 complete machines here Randy... Come and get them!
Free?

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2010 12:03 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I studied the Pro 35 manual in the manuals section. Something seems wrong about making this intermittent have a dual purpose of driving the rest of the machine. As Ballantyne states, its the "heart of the machine."

Also, I noticed that everything about the pro 35 has a different design to it than Simplex 35 or Century, where did they get their ideas for these parts?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-19-2010 06:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The design of the "gear train" is a knock off of the Kinoton DP75. Ballantyne once was the importer of Norelco/Kinoton. The aperture plates are evena knock off of the Norelco FP20 series...hence they fit.

As they say...imitated, not duplicated.

Steve

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2010 11:03 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

We have more complete machines here than I care to mention. LOL

I also have a rebuilt pro-35 that's been sitting on my work bench for over a year now, someone had a change of mind on that one...grrrrrrr.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2010 11:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
As they say...imitated, not duplicated.

And a sad attempt at even a rough imitation at that!

Randy... These are goin to the scrap yard then...

Mark

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 12:28 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone doesn't want a pro35 changeover power supply that works and they are going to throw it away ill give you 20 bucks.... [Wink]

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 10:48 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I'll trade you a used simplex intermittent for the parts that I want. I just don't want the entire projector.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: