Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » QSC Series one fans NLA

Author Topic: QSC Series one fans NLA
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2010 02:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has finally happened folks! Those internal shaded pole motor fans used in the 1400, 1700 and USA series amplifiers are now obsolete. Who cares... these amps can live on for several more decades... and they are still more reliable and better sounding than alot of the amps being made today! If you need a fan I reccomend the NMB 4710PS-12T-B30-A00 fan available from Arrow Electronics. They are ball bearing and under 12 bucks. Get the matching cord and a finger guard and install the fan to the rear of the amplifier. Wire it to the two internal terminals the original fan used to hook to. You maintain the two speed operation and gain a little more airflow at the same time... all this for about 20 bucks less than the list price of the original QSC fan.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2010 04:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...their web site hasn't been informed of the change.

Likely, it is a RoHS issue and the original fan has or has not made the RoHS conversion. Most everything gets a new part number.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2010 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to QSC parts about this and it's not quite that easy, unfortunately. While it may be a RoHS issue they have absolutely no intent to have any more fans produced citing the 20+ year age of many of the amplifiers. They even suggested installing the muffin fans... which I had already done at this particuluar site to keep the amps from over heating and shutting down. 17 years of dust accumulation wasn't helping them either!

I did not inquire as to how long they intend to supply the Series 1 rebuild kits but all those parts are readily available off the shelf anyway, so not as big of worry there.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: