Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FP20 drifting focus

Author Topic: FP20 drifting focus
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2010 05:32 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my FP20's likes to slowly drift out of focus so that i have to correct about every 10 minutes. Focus is sharp and uniform when correct, but always drifts. Why??

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-16-2010 05:52 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff.

Could be a number of things such as -:

Lens loose in the mount
Too much heat at the gate with corresponding "popping" of the focus
Slop in the focus leadscrew
Worn skates and runners

There may be other possibilities which I'm sure other tech's will point out.

Good luck with it and let us know how you go and what you find.

Cheers
Ian

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2010 07:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the lens is certainly in there tight, and the skate and runners are pretty new. the gate feels cool to the touch... i've got a 1200 cfm fan on two machines running 2k each (probably overkill i know but it was a free fan). is too much heat still a possibility somehow... if not, what can i do to fix the slop in the focus leadscrew?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-16-2010 08:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the lens and shake...verify it is not unscrewing itself.

Verify that your focus rack is operating smoothly and not binding mechanically or is gummed up. Remember, it is a spring that moves the lens one way so if it has a problem...there may be a time-delay between adjusting the focus and when the lens finally finishes its movement.

Steve

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 05:19 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the spring is gunk free, is lightly lubed, and is moving freely. do you mean shake the screw without the lens mount in the holder? i did that and the screw does jiggle a bit.. perhaps it is just unscrewing itself? do i need a new screw?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2010 10:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No...shake the lens, itself.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: