Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A couple questions about upgrading to digital projectors for on-screen advertising

Author Topic: A couple questions about upgrading to digital projectors for on-screen advertising
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-12-2010 12:12 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, I am talking about stand-alone LCD/DLP projectors to replace regular 35mm projectors - not Digital Cinema projectors.

When we have looked at this in the past, one of the main issues we were not able to resolve was how to power on the projectors at the end of the show and how to power them off at the start of the show.

Currently we just plug into the convenience outlet and the power on/off automatically. But with digital projectors we would need to send an IR pulse to power on and we would need to be able kill the lamp but keep the fan running at shut down.

Most likely we would create a presentation in PowerPoint and then burn it to DVD for playback.

Any input on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated. We currently do everything ourselves and would prefer to avoid using an outside agency.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 01:51 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting issue to deal with.
I would suggest getting a projector with a serial / rs232 port.
Then make sure it supports distinct power on off commands over rs232.
Get a micro controller such as an adruiano and program it to go with a contact closure. When the pins change from high to low or low to high send the appropriate command. This is the best way as the projector will cool down properly.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-12-2010 04:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just get a projector like the Panasonic PT-D3500U. I've got tons of them in operation for just this purpose.

Download the manual and you will see how pathetically easy it is to tie into it via their "remote 2" terminal. You can use the same relay you have on your switched AC outlet to connect to pins 1 and 2. Voila, done. (Look at page 41)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: