Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A remnant in our Century Lamphouse base?

Author Topic: A remnant in our Century Lamphouse base?
Tom Egbert
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2010 10:10 PM      Profile for Tom Egbert   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Egbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are newcomers in the industry, so forgive me for my ignorance. We have some equipment salvaged from somewhere that we purchased through the Cinema Preservation Group in N.C.. The Century lamphouse base has a round porthole in the side with a swinging hole cover over it. Looking through the center of the hole to the opposite inside surface of the lamphouse base is what looks like a transformer. There are two leads going to it (one black the other white), but none coming from it. The leads came in from the bottom of the base through a conduit connector and were cut off from the outside along with the flexible conduit that they were running in. The transformer looks as though there used to be something attached to it, but is no longer there. Can I assume that this is the remnant of an old a/c to d/c power supply that is no longer used? We have an IREM N3-X75DM that we will be using for power.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-11-2010 10:59 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, first off, welcome to F-T, you'll find a lot of very helpful people and quite a few characters here as well.....

The transformer you're seeing is most likely a leftover for the framing lights, the output would be either 6 or 12 volts AC at one amp or less.

LV framing lights are on most brands other than Century, which used 120vac framing lights on most models.

And yes, depending on the mounting bracket (or "knuckle") attached to the base you can mount other than Century projectors to a Century base. [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-12-2010 02:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again Tom! True, welcome to F-T! I'm from Idaho Falls and know that area well (my father was born and raised in Driggs in his younger days..) along with the Playhouse there on Main St.

Victor has some great eateries in this little mountain town in Teton County.

We're all here to help you out! .. and good luck! - Monte

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 03:40 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony

Just to disagree I think the that the unit is more likely to be an old redundant exciter lamp supply.

Tom Egbert
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 10:54 AM      Profile for Tom Egbert   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Egbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much guys. You are very generous with your time and willingness to help. This is a great resource. Essential.

We will ignore this transformer as it has no use that we can see. Half of the unit is missing anyway.

Tom

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely for framing light.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-12-2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of Century needs a transformer for its framing bulbs? Every one that I have seen uses 120v bulbs and has a cord with an Edison connector that attaches to the front of the projector head. It usually connects to an outlet on the projector base.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 11:38 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the newer Centurys do use 12v framing lamps. I think though that anything old enough to use the C base would be 120v and the transformer is for something else.
Bob

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 12:35 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures are always a bonus in this type of discussion. BTW: welcome to FT.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-12-2010 03:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott; there is value to 12 volt bulbs. #1 easier UL certification and #2 short, stocky filament with longer life due to not being vibrated as much Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: