Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eiki Ex-5000 portable 16mm? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eiki Ex-5000 portable 16mm?
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know anything about the Eiki EX-5000 16mm? is it a decent machine? I have a chance to buy one off a local cinema. It looks like it takes a 500-1000 watt Xenon. They never used it so its been in storage for a while. It has handles on the top, and the reel arms come off for transport.

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2010 06:09 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eiki is one of the best machines made. They've been doing it for quite a while so you don't need to worry. I had an Eiki 1015 xenon that I sold. It was made in the 70s and built like a tank. It was all metal. The one you're considering probably has a plastic case which is not a problem. Most 16mm machines are no longer being manufactured. The studios not longer dub 16mm prints. That stopped in about'06.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2010 10:24 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eiki 5000 uses a rubber belt to couple the drive motor to the cam/tank claw movement. Make sure to check that it hasn't dry rotted from non-use. I've found the saw type action of the 2 tooth claw to not tolerate shrunken or damaged film well. Also, the drive motors speed can become erratic & run way too fast & the only cure is a new motor or a rebuild. The focus rack can loosen up over time but, this can easily be repaired with rubber tubing. Try & check the machine out well before buying and don't pay too much for it. When they are up to snuff they'll put a solid image on screen. I've replaced a few because of nagging, age related problems. The 5000 was built in the early 1970's, Good Luck. [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2010 06:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, and good luck getting parts for them too!

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2010 07:27 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try it out... is $200.00 to much?

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2010 09:46 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also consider replacement xenon lamps. We have been looking for the proper 1000w bulb for an Eiki 6100 for months, and our supplier is finally having to order directly from Ushio in Japan, with a 3 month lead time.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2010 09:59 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fred Georges
the 2 tooth claw to not tolerate shrunken or damaged film well.
I'd like to 2nd this opinion. The Eiki is a well built, quiet
running machine with good sound output. I used one of these
at a local theater where the throw was about 100' and they
were able to get a good, large, steady picture on screen.

But, the gate & claw did not handle film with any degree of
shrinkage/warpage, or anything less than perfectly made
splices well.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2010 10:11 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW: Robert Film in Toronto services those machines, and in fact had a rebuilt one for sale for some time. Check with them for lamps, belts, etc. A well adjusted Eiki will service you as well as anything else unless you want to step up to a unit with a true intermittant. $200 is a steal if it's in good shape.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-11-2010 10:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, there is something about this machine (bulb? some other part?) that is NLA. This may or may not be an issue, depending on what type of condition it is in and how much 16mm you intend to show.

If it is complete and operational as received, $200 is a good deal, regardless. Even the tabletop 350w and 550w xenon machines go for more than that.

The Eiki is decent for 16mm, but you can do better. I actually like the Hortson machines, but I might be the only one who does. I do not recommend the Prevost. Supposedly, the Kinoton FP-38E is the one that you really want.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-11-2010 10:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hortson and prevost are far from portable
for portable xenon i like the Elmo as it will handle almost any damaged print you want to throw at it
For pedastal machines I like the Prevost/Favorite the best it has an excellent image and if the damper is set correctly good sound
the hortson always has a bit of bounce to it and the soundhead is very high in flutter

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2010 08:57 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
If I remember correctly, there is something about this machine (bulb? some other part?) that is NLA.
The lamphouse mirror, maybe?

Superior Quartz Products may have an equivalent replacement in stock or, if not, may be able to fabricate a clone from the original lamp, ensuring a stock of quality lamps for years to come.

If a lamp explodes, though, and takes out the mirror, the show may be over... [Frown]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-11-2010 09:11 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bauer Selecton IIo. 16mm projector

Beautiful machines, extremely well built and has an intermittant sprocket. Very quiet too. [thumbsup]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-11-2010 11:00 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware that some models of Eiki projector use a VERY expensive control board that is also hard to find.

Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 01:34 PM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about this model, and I would have to look it up, but I know that Eiki (pronounced A-key, incase anybody was wondering) did make some of their 1k and 2k projectors that use a genevea intermittent, instead of the claw design. This is better for shrunken and damaged films. I've often run 16mm on the claw design and had to stand next to it waiting to push the film down on the bottom loop after the film gate when ever the claw would stop catching. The projector actually has a elliptical rubber wheel that is supposed to resize the loop when this happens, but it rarely works perfectly. Overall though, I have found the Eiki's reliable and easy to use.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2010 02:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually the sprocket driven was bad with shrunken film as well
the factory rep from japan pronounced it I-key
they were an ok machine at best

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: