Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS 3000 Reader Questions

Author Topic: SDDS 3000 Reader Questions
Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 09:16 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just aquired a 2nd hand Sony SDDS 3000 reader and had some questions:

- The brake on the main sprocket wheel seems rather stiff. Is this normal? Can it be loosened? I know it needs to certainly have some holdback aspect to it, but add that to the reel tension, it seems that it could be too much. Do these go bad and need replacing?

- There seems to be some hooking on the teeth of the sprocket. Does anyone know of a dealer of SDDS parts?

MANY THANKS ALL!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2010 10:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the reader connected to a processor? If not (or if the power is not on), then the reader will appear to be extra tight. I am not aware of any adjustment to loosen it.

I think Cardinal has some stock. Seems I recall CLACO did as well.

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 11:24 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, thanks for the info. I hope to be getting an interconnect cable very soon. When I had the sides off for cleaning, I did
not see any motor connected to the sprocket assembly, so that is why I had initially discounted any thought that adding power would loosen it up. Let me see how it behaves with power (that is why we have TEST reels) and go from there.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2010 06:36 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sprocket on 3000 readers have some magnet inside, and is same with or without power applyed.

Remove sprocket and clean all inside, it can be some dust or something get inside of it, also when you do get cable first make calibration, is simple and no tools required, just connect RS232 port which is inside rear cover of reader to PC, make hyperterminal connection and do it, I'm sure you won't need new led's as they last forewer in 3000.....really the most best and simple reader ever made!

If you need any tips more write here or drop PM!

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 10:07 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All,

Thanks for your assistance. Finally got a cable and ran R2 of Titanic ('Leaving Port' & 'Take her to sea Mr. Murdoch'). No drop outs! Reel had some minor damage and splices and still held up. Brad, one of the places you suggested has a custom sprocket for the unit for $350. Will have to wait for tax refund for that one....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-21-2010 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CLACO sprockets are Stainless Steel. Sony was out of this sprocket for a very long time so they had stainless steel ones made by LaVezzi instead of waiting. They will last the entire lifetime of the penthouse...

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2010 03:59 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've good things about those custom sprockets... and I'm hearing some VERY good things from the SDDS system itself!

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2010 06:54 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SDDS DFP3000 is really great system....Dolby should be mad, but 3000 reader is better than CAT700 and all, uses only small led, all other fluttering and so is equalized by software. The unit itself has great sound (sonic) performance, not mention ALL inputs and outputs are true BALANCED (except NS), it has two AUX so you can use it today in combination of DCinema, signals are switched by miniature relays so there is no possibility for distortion in analog switches, and MOST important for me is ultra flexible and you can do what you want from it, on they way you configure it....also I did run some PA combination with it.....

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2010 07:56 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin,

Have you experienced any channel drop outs during SDDS playback? I've used 2 of these units and one would drop the center channel and the other (still in use) drops the right channel. This only happens in SDDS mode. Switching to analog the channels come back, but as soon as I put it back in SDDS mode those channels drop out. The only way to get them back is to reboot the processor. I've update the firmware aswell with no luck.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2010 08:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen that happen as well. Not sure if it affected analog or not, but I it affected all digital formats for sure.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-22-2010 08:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say there are capacitors on the output board that are going bad...may be on the 2000 series though that I'm remembering.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2010 03:41 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

I did have any problems with it, if SDDS drop's it do switch to analog....

As Steve mentioned, cap's can be problem, even they are very good components in it. Also I doubt is anything in output par since when you switch to analog everything is okay? Both analog and digital signals are having same output, as same are decoded digitally, so something is bad in decoding probably. As SDDS do have some channel encoded on P, and some on S side of film maybe led's did drop down on reader, did you try to re-calibrate them, and check SDDS playback status during film? I did have one time situation, complete S side was out, and by eye you could see there is no SDDS data on one side, but even print did play without single drop...

I suggest you see are all voltages are okay and in range, then to check capacitors near on DSP's board....if you need further assistance or some drowning let me now.

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2010 03:18 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marin, I used the terminal connection to set up the LED's. No errors thankfully. However, it did not seem to make too much of a difference, so I conducted a little experiment. In running a 6000' reel, where I had some hits before, I blocked each side to see if one was working better than the other. When the S side was the only one going, I would loose 'Data Present'. I loosened the the 2 screws for the LED mount a little and slide the LED up and down until I hit an area where the Data Present stayed lit. The rest of the 6000' reel was flawless.

Problem is, I don't have enough time to run a lot of film for testing [Frown] or enjoying.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2010 03:25 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are some prints which do have only one side, I know a print I have at home, only one side is reading and still sound is okay and no drops, even reader and system is completly okay.....

This is because of print, not because of reader.....

But you pointed when you move you get something on other side? Did you try and other print maybe, and what is than on reading error?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: