Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Going from Simplex E7 to Simplex PR-1014? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Going from Simplex E7 to Simplex PR-1014?
Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2010 04:46 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Simplex E7. Our supplier is offering a PR-1014 (sorry...don't know the details about the Simplex projectors...maybe this is also called an XL?) from a recently closed theatre in Alameda, CA.

We only run the projector for seven screenings a week, so it doesn't get much work. The E7 has been pretty good for us. But, I am new to the job (two months...manager/projectionsist) so, I don't know a lot about it's history.

Any opinions about switching projectors? Pros? Cons?
Thanks!

-

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-03-2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the simplexes the E7 had the best steady image of any of them
but they are a pain to repair

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2010 05:34 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the price is right, I would suggest you buy it as a spare, If your projector breaks down or if you move, then install it. If you do move and have space for a second screen etc It may come in handy. Murphys Law sometimes means that when a projector breaks down or needs rare parts a bargain is not usually around when you need it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-03-2010 05:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one E-7 and a gob of Supers still running that I service. Never bothered to change them out because they just keep on ticking like the Everredy Bunny does. The location with the E-7 has a complete spare head for when that one craps out... The one head has been running for 12 years though and is still in excellent shape, they run from a platter... Just keep em clean and well oiled and make sure you also oil the main drive gear and what ever sound head you happen to have there, probably at least SAE 30 weight in the gear box, preferably SAE 40 weight if you can find it or use 90 weight synthetic gear lube.

As to the X-L... if you can get it for 500 bucks then go for it but I seriously doubt it'll put out as nice of picture or say any better one than the E-7 does...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-03-2010 06:31 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it has no unobtainable parts like the E-7. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-03-2010 06:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol..why you go find Simplex E-7 graveyards to snag parts from.

True, the only gimper is that obique shaft in those things where the pain comes from, but agree with others: E-7's can do pictures right!

Big question? is he trying to sell you something that you don't need, or is it something that he wants you to have? Bottom line: is it something you want and/or really need?

I can see his point due to the PR-1014 has parts that are still made, plus available whereas the E-7 is a dinosaur.

I look at it this way: if it ain't broke, leave it alone.

-Monte

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2010 06:49 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we may need a 2nd projector in a year or so (or sooner), if we find the right location for a twin theatre.

So, it sounds like there are good reasons to consider it. But, hanging on to the E7 also sounds like a good idea.

I have kind of grown 'attached' to the E7...so old and sturdy! But, we have not had to replace any parts recently so I have not had to deal with that potential issue.

Thanks for the comments!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-03-2010 06:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd ditch the E-7 and jump at the XL opportunity...unless it is dog XL.

Steve

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2010 07:04 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Is that because of the difficulty in getting parts? Or, some other reason?

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2010 07:16 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that has`nt been mentioned is the increased screen illumination you1l get with the XL, due to the conical shutter close to the aperture,. As Steve says,"go for it".

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-03-2010 11:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the romantic involvement with the Supers and E7s that others have. Parts are harder to get, they use straight gates, most every one I come across is wasted and they inherently leak oil all over the place.

And yes, you'll get more light on the XL...hence the name Xtra Light.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2010 02:43 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert Koch
is the increased screen illumination you1l get with the XL
I'm not sure if that would be a big issue with what looks to be a 16 ft (?) screen . Celine is your screen equipped with masking or is it one size fits all? If it is does move does it go out sidewards or up?

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you are about right there, Cameron in terms of screen size. And, we do change the masking for scope...the bottom masking comes up.

But, we may be in a larger space sometime in the future. With a bigger screen.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-04-2010 01:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The straight gate E7 probably has about the steadiest image of any north american machine hands down
If the machine is in ruff shape replace it but most xl's don't have a stable of image as the E7 did
yes they leak oil too bad but when they run they run very well

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-04-2010 01:54 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The E7 is a good projector when in good shape (most projectors are, I suppose) but it is obsolete. If you're driving to work in a model T the ride is fine I suppose.
Eventually something is going to break.
Your soundhead is also an antique, but it has few moving parts and most are still readily available. The projector has a lot of parts which are rare to unobtainable, except from a junkyard... and many of those junkyards are scrapping their really ancient stuff.
The PR-1014 shares all internal parts with current production machines. I'm not sure if Ballantyne still sells them as a PR-1014 but the XL is still available in some incarnation. If it breaks you can get it repaired as quickly as is possible: not when and if replacement parts can be found. That's a pretty important consideration for a business.
Like Mark, I still service a few E7 machines. If one breaks, it will go to the junkpile and I'll have to supply a replacement - probably an XL but a Century is a good choice too (I expect Mark would do the same in such a situation).
There's some sense in not fixing what isn't broken, but if the price for the XL is good, what have you lost? The price tends to be higher when you really need something...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: