Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamphouse wire size and type (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Lamphouse wire size and type
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2010 11:06 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what is the right or best type of wire to use for the DC connections of a lamphouse? Also, what is the proper wire size? I know it depends on amperage and length. What is the best way to determine this?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-02-2010 11:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welding cable...can't beat it...it is high strand count for flexibility...available in most sizes in black or red. The longer the run, the higher the amperage, the larger the gauge.

Without commenting further, Strong uses 4awg for 2500-Watts and smaller and 2awg for 150A and smaller...on runs less than 10-feet.

We will often use 1/0 for larger lamps (4KW-7KW).

Steve

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 11:42 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ask an electrician."

Size of the cable should be determined by the maximum allowable voltage drop you are willing to tolerate, which should be primarily dictated by length of the run, but also has to do with what your rectifiers can support. Length (and current) dictates voltage drop, which dictates the wire gauge. Look this up in the NEC, or your favorite table.

For short runs that flex, welding cable is expensive but nice. For long runs (unlikely in modern booths, but possible), THHN is cheap and reasonable.

(Hmm, I see Steve posted while I was typing. Well, I'll post this anyway...)

--jhawk

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2010 11:45 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once in a pinch where a loose lamphouse connection overheated and burned all the wiring, an auto parts store was able to supply me with battery cables of the correct guage and stranding. They even had nice shiny new terminals! Its important to note that insulation that is UV and high heat resistant is important inside a lamphouse, so read specifications carefully.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-02-2010 11:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welding cable is not that expensive for what it is. #4 is good for 100 amps continous. Note also that N.E.C. specifies that wire feeds for Arc Light or Xenon circuits should be the next larger size than one might ordinarily use for a given circuit. So be sure to use the next larger size wire for that feed so you pass inspection.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-02-2010 02:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I've never had welding cable be a cost issue. Many places will sell you cut-lengths so you only need buy what you need. THHN is a poor choice, I my opinion, as the connection to a typical lug in the lamphouse or rectifier is not likely to be optimal. Welding cable just plain works well.

Steve

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 02:27 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typical welding cable has a 60 degree C jacket. I usually dress that type cable at high temperature points with 3M #27 glass tape. Better is 90 degree C rated HOFR welding cable. Best is 150 degree C silicon/glass jacket cable or thermal / U.V. resistant cable such as Cobra X-Flex 150.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 02:34 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The case where we used THHN was a 50' run from rectifiers to lamphouses. That's probably atypical. But THHN was substantially cheaper than welding/battery cable. Though looking at the pricing now, they are closer than I recall.

--jhawk

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-02-2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John.

Do you know what kind of voltage drop you had over that 50' run?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 03:28 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was 4AWG and 2k bulbs, and I think the 4AWG was undersized. My notes (fragmentary, I might be misreading) suggest we saw about a 4V drop under load (way too much!). On the other hand, it (90C THHN 4AWG) was much better than what it replaced (60C TWG 6AWG).

Why do you ask? I guess we can measure it easily enough.

--jhawk

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 04:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For longer runs "code" diameters are not large enough. Poor lamp life can be attributed to voltage drop (only during ignition) across long lengths of cable.

Inrush current at 4000 watts is easily over 1000 amps; for that reason, Strong has specified up to #000 for high wattage bulbs. This makes the case for having the rectifier nearby, like in a console.

You will note that Christie uses wire on the smallish size. Part of their regulation is that very voltage drop. Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2010 04:22 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm only dealing with 2K lamps and the runs are no longer than 5 or 6 feet, #4 welding cable sounds good.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-02-2010 04:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...do a google search...you'll find suppliers that supply red and black by the foot.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-02-2010 06:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note though that welding cable is not 600 volt cable so it should be ennclosed in flex, conduit or what ever. If you need cable with 600 volt rating as a few local codes specify then locomotive cable is the only route you can go. It's identical to welding cable except for it's 600 volt rating.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 10:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually welding cable must be in free air as its insulation is not rated for in flex
we buy what is CSA rated entertainment cable now days for our dc leads

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: