Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Old Bell & Howell 16mm motor question

Author Topic: Old Bell & Howell 16mm motor question
Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 12:44 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the most likely cause for the motor to cause excessive static or noise in the amplifier of old-style (200 & 300 series) Bell & Howell 16mm projectors? Should I try replacing the governor? The brushes appear ok but sparks that appear at the point of contact between some of the brushes and the governor seem a little excessive when turning. I'm thinking that could be the point of electrical interference.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 01:58 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dressing up the points would't be a bad idea, but don't those have a filter cap on the motor as well? Those machines are a minimum of 50 years old, so that would also be a likely culprit.

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone has any experience in locating and replacing the filter cap I'd really appreciate any pointers. This is a mag/optical model 202. Early to mid-50's I'd guess.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-27-2009 04:53 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ed

You may have more success with your question at the little-known part of Film-Tech called Film-Tech 8mm Forum.

It also includes 16mm.

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 11:29 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been professional-level discussions of vintage 16mm equipment on this forum in the past. Not my intent to break any guidelines. Just looking for sincere advice from anyone familiar with these rare vintage beasts--if anyone is out there.
Many thanks in advance.
Ed

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: