Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Out of frame "attached" trailers on Deluxe films (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Out of frame "attached" trailers on Deluxe films
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-23-2009 10:14 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious to know if anyone else was blessed by out of frame splices on the attached trailers for their Deluxe films this week. We had one on both Alvin and Up In The Air. Unfortunately the prints were build up by my assistants who weren't aware to watch for those.

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Kirwan
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 10:32 PM      Profile for Matthew Kirwan   Email Matthew Kirwan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All three of the Alvin prints we received had attached trailers spliced out of frame. Our print of Up In The Air was fine, however.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be guys that whoever had the print before you took the trailers off for their run and then spliced them back on when they shipped them out but didn't give a rip about whether or not they were in frame.

Matthew Kirwan
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 11:08 PM      Profile for Matthew Kirwan   Email Matthew Kirwan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These were three brand-new, sequential-numbered uncut prints with the security ties still on the cans.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-23-2009 11:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happens. They don't have very good splicing equipment at the depots. What really bothers me is that they even bother to splice them on in the first place. Why not just include them in the can along with a note e-mailed to the theater's corporate offices saying "You will play this trailer with our print or we will eat your children"?

The mind boggles.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 11:23 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of our prints of Alvin had the print preview spliced in misframed. I agree though, if their going to attach it, make sure to do it right, otherwise, just put it in the can.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-2009 11:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
More often than not they chop the incoming audio off of the opening logo when the depots try and splice because these are shipping people, not film handling people.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 12:46 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I measure EVERYTHING that comes attached. no exception. I do it with distributer logos too (even if they're printed on). I also end up removing the 20 feet of black nothing film they like to attach too. I'm also in the habit of trimming back the heads and tails when they leave excessive amounts of clear and junk film on. Miss frames are a massive peeve of mine. They shouldn't happen.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-24-2009 12:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do that too, Jarret. Usually I will end up removing some stuff because if I didn't, the digital sound would drop out. Even if I didn't have to remove anything, I always put a splice there any way in case I need to remove the trailer in the future. I have to put the lights down cue around that area any way. However I try to leave at least a touch over half a second of black (if not a bit more) after the last frame of a trailer and before the first frame of the greenband.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 02:38 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin had a out of frame splice on the attached that was taped on only one side... one side it was a lucky catch.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-24-2009 08:00 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got bitten on a special preview print of Dr. Parnassus. The print was not new but had new trailers attached, in sealed cans from Deluxe. Rushed, I didn't check the splices (no excuse). A splice let go on the test show and filled the XL shutter box with film, winding around the shutter shaft. No gears stripped luckily but a proper ba$tard to clean out.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-24-2009 08:09 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case you didn't notice, Joe, a lot of children get eaten by the studios, but it doesn't help much. They do it this way because they've found that it works. Hard to argue.

--jhawk

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-24-2009 08:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happens all the time (well, 3/4 of the time, anyway). Even if they could make an in-frame splice, the splices themselves are invariably so badly made that they would need to be re-made anyway.

It's not just DFS. TES has the same problem with trailers that are attached by hand.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 08:31 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had two Alvin prints with the splice in frame, but only taped on one side. No matter, since the policy had to be dropped in anyway.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 10:22 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a new print of something come in a few weeks ago, and the
attached trailer was spliced out of frame. I cant recall what feature is was though.

Last night a fellow projction-guy happened to mention to me that the trailer attached to his (new) print of "Alvin" et al,
was out of frame.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: