Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex 35 Focusing Knob Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simplex 35 Focusing Knob Question
Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 05:27 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 5 simplexes all different in how they have been mantained over the years. One of them has a focusing knob that is almost impossible to turn. Its come to the point where It takes a good 30 to 45 seconds to turn the knob one or to turns to get the lens to focus after a lens change. I have been switched lenses during the credits of other movies so the next movie will be focused and people don't see me fighting with the focus. Does anyone know how to loosen up / oil the focusing knob shaft on a simplex?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2009 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The grease in there has turned to goo. It'll have to be disassembled, cleaned, re-lubed and re-assembled. Follow the manual on this one. Procedure is a bit lengthy and you need to get it back together correctly for it to work properly.

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-22-2009 02:32 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, your real problem is that your lenses are not set up correctly. If you set up your lenses as per my following instructions, you should rarely have to touch that focus knob. It is a simple thing to do but it does take some time.

• Step 1: Prepare a loop of film, like sharp credits or if you can get some, SMPTE RP-40 test film;
  • Step 2, Thread and run the loop, lamp on and dowser open;
  • Step 3, Set the focus knob to it's midpoint (turn it fully one way and then back the other till it stops, counting the number of turns, on most Simplexes it's about three full turns, so set it at 1 and one half turns from either stop);
  • Step 4, DO NOT TOUCH THE FOCUS KNOB AGAIN DURING THIS PROCESS!!;
  • Step 5, starting with the scope lens, loosen the lens setscrews (or clamp screws on older adapters) SLIGHTLY, you want the lens just loose enough to be able to move with some effort but not so loose that it can move freely or fall out);
  • Step 6, Insert the lens adapter ALL THE WAY into the lens holder, then tighten the LENS HOLDER CLAMP KNOB slightly so the ADAPTER can't move around;
  • Step 7: Shift THE LENS AND ONLY THE LENS in the adapter until it is sharply focussed and the scope image is straight and not crooked;
  • Step 8, Loosen the LENS HOLDER CLAMP KNOB and carefully push the adapter and lens out enough to tighten the LENS SETSCREWS. DON'T LET THE LENS MOVE while you do this.
  • Step 9, Reseat the lens adaptor and lens into the holder to see if you're still in focus. If not, repeat steps 5 - 8 and check it again. If focus is still good, move on to your flat lens repeating the above.
Reading the above makes it sound hard, but it really isn't and should not take more than 15 mins. to 1/2 hour to set up both lenses, even faster after you've done it a few times.
Properly set up, you should NEVER have to make big changes in focus when switching lenses, it should be only very minor tweaks if at all.
Be sure to MARK EACH lens to it's own projector.
You will be a lot happier and so will your audiences.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-22-2009 02:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no mater how carefully you set focus rings one usually needs to make a 1/4 turn of the focus knob to get proper focus

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 02:38 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonys' procedure is the correct one. Do the Simplexes have only one common focus knob like the Kinotons? The only problem would be if you have local subtitled titles which are almost never in focus with the emulsion side of the film so you inevitably have a slight blur on the subtitles unless you do a certain trick to shift the lens holder only a few mm on one side to achieve proper focus. Good luck and also don't forget WD40 [Smile]
Demetris

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-22-2009 02:40 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon I disagree, in all the screening rooms I've set up one rarely has to do more than 1/8 turn or less to stay in focus. In many cases with the new mylar stock NO CHANGE AT ALL is not uncommon. Bear in mind I'm also working with some short focal length lenses too which are super fussy on focus. (45-55mm mostly)

If it still takes a full 1/4 turn with a lens change there are other issues at play, like slop in the lens holder assembly.

Demetris, yes, only one knob if the Simplex has the single lens holders (which is what Michael appears to have) and IIRC the Simplex Turrets have knobs for each lens.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 02:48 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Never seen a single lens holder with multiple knobs [Roll Eyes] .

Sorry Tony [Smile] He he. The Kinotons' lens turrets have one common focus knob whic shifts the whole turret back and foth and not each individual lens that is why I was asking if the Simplexes use the same system as I have not seen one.
Demetris

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-22-2009 03:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the lens holders are independent in a turret like the TU-2000.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 04:57 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking through the simplex projector manuals and could not find the part where they talk about the focusing knob. Maybe I am looking in the wrong part of the manual.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-22-2009 11:18 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm. Never seen a single lens holder with multiple knobs [Roll Eyes] .

Sorry Tony [Smile] He he. The Kinotons' lens turrets have one common focus knob whic shifts the whole turret back and foth and not each individual lens that is why I was asking if the Simplexes use the same system as I have not seen one.
Demetris

LOL I once thought I had seen a single-lens Century with multiple focus knobs. [Big Grin]

Now that you mention it, you're right about the Kinotons..mine at UC Irvine have those blasted turrets and the single knob..After I set the lenses they stay in focus pretty well, but the damn turret and aperture changer never seem to index to the same place twice..I absolutely hate them.

Anyone out there got a pair of single-lens mounts and holders for an FP-20 they'd like to get rid of? [Big Grin]

quote: Michael Voiland
I was looking through the simplex projector manuals and could not find the part where they talk about the focusing knob. Maybe I am looking in the wrong part of the manual.
Michael, look in page 25 of the Simplex parts manual here on the site, (Page 25 of the pdf file, it is page 1-18 of the actual manual.)

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-23-2009 12:05 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony

Is the FP20 turret similar to the DP75?

If they are, you have my sympathies.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-23-2009 03:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we have pulled Kinoton turrets and installed single-lens holders! I'm not a huge fan of turrets in general and found the Kinotons to mainly get "in-the-way".

Steve

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-23-2009 03:55 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve.

If they're anything like these I'm not surprised!

-

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-23-2009 08:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And with an X60 lamphouse no less (I'm guessing).

The DP75 turrets were somewhat unique in that they angled the other lens out of the way. The ones I've pulled just had two or three straight openings.

Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-23-2009 05:14 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, nope mine are triple-lens and keep the lenses in the same plane, which makes it's lack of focus stability even more puzzling.

Steve, you got a set of single-lens assy's on hand? If not let me know as soon as you find a pair..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: