Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS units and there drives (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS units and there drives
Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2009 03:49 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So here is the issue. Our dts6 decided that its drives were going to start to fail. So the company bought some cheap drives aka old used SCSI drives from a wholesaler. Those lasted 2 weeks. Then we got some drives from another dts6 that the company had but those are bad drives.
Finally I went out and bought 4 slot loading SCSI drives. Now they were cheap but they were also brand new meant for hp servers. The first set of these drives is going.
Why does a dts unit seem to chew through any drive that is not a dts drive, and can I make my 3rd party SCSI drives work.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-19-2009 04:02 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because the firmware could've easily been written in such a way that it only worked perfectly with the intended hardware.

On the other hand, at least with the 6D (I'm not sure if this applies to the 6) they have a DVD-drive upgrade kit that includes an IDE-to-SCSI adapter. So now if you had a drive fail, it could literally take any old IDE DVD drive. But of course 6D isn't 6 so this might not help you.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2009 05:46 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they do have the upgrade kit for the dts6 I would we could get an xd20. 9 Theaters and only one broken dts unit.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2009 06:02 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That SCSI to IDE kit is same for DTS6 and 6D machines. I did asked dts tech support for it, too bad they don't longer support that units, but there is some out company that do it for them, I send them mail only still no replay.

Even....newer figured whay they didn't just replace SCSI controller with IDE one and make new firmware that thing can go....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2009 07:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Computer Spirit is now the parts source for those drives. I believe this company also built all the DTS units for DTS... They also put together the upgrade kits back when they were available. Like any computer item the older it gets the harder it is to keep em going.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-19-2009 08:14 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my personal experience DTS Toshiba drives have no special firmware. I compared the firmware between a retail unit and a DTS unit and it was the same (at least the SCSI card showed the same firmware version).
What I found testing several drives of different brands, is that they work but with no reliability. Only the same type of drives work flawlessy. I think you just have to find on the market the same model of drive, and try them. Of course they must be brand new.

Or you simply could buy the SCSI/IDE adapter [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-19-2009 08:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a firmware issue with the drives's firmware has to be all the same to match the SCSI controller.

And forget about doing IDE controller with HD/IDE drives,et. al. - units pretty proprietory with SCSI

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 03:32 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To bad dts had there head up their butt when they built these things. Dts will sell the drives for a few hundred bucks.
Any idea on part numbers / cost of the ide upgrade kit.
does anyone have a number for computer spirit?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 03:36 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are better off making an exchange for an XD20 unit. It will eventually be cheaper.
Demetris

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 03:45 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love an XD20 I would love 4 of them does anyone have info on this trade up program.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 07:16 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I speak with Adam McDonald but that's for the European region. I am not sure of the US region.
Demetris

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 08:41 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From memory, their upgrade kits were around $250. We upgraded the ROM chip in some controller and they used Acard SCSI-to-IDE adapters and standard IDE DVD drives.

Yes. The adapter cards can be bought off-the-shelf and they cost around $80, far less if you find them used (we paid like $35 for a few). They need to be above a certain revision, though. After installing the kit, if a drive fails (which they all eventually do), it's only a matter of getting another standard $25 IDE DVD drive in there and you are good to go for a couple more years.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 12:36 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio if I recall correctly the drives should not be above x16 speed otherwise they have a lot of fallbacks. That is the limitation of the DTS6D and DTS6 unit.
Demetris

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-20-2009 06:02 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newer TEAC drives were 32x, reduced to 4x by software if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe with IDE DVD drives they can reduce speed without the need of a particular drive model.
When I fitted in SCSI 40x version of Toshiba drives (6401 instead of 5401 if memory serves) my DTS was NOT able to reduce their speed. Obviously the command sent to the drives was not compatible with 6401. Maybe with IDE drives it's no more an issue.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-21-2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Voiland
does anyone have a number for computer spirit?

Computer Spirit

2649 Townsgate Road
Suite 200
Westlake Village, CA 91361

(805)-373-5107

E-208 (2-tray kit) $429.00

E-209 (3-tray kit) $571.31

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: