Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where to find intermission trailer (35mm)

Author Topic: Where to find intermission trailer (35mm)
Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 05:08 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 6k reels, so we have an intermission to change the reels. The trailer we have now is VERY old and has seen better days. We only run about 15 seconds of it (sound off) as the house lights come up.

Any ideas for where to find a replacement? I have seen the sites that sell drive-in intermission trailers but most seem to be 3 or more minutes long and fairly pricey. We need a short one (and preferably not so pricey!)...

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2009 05:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For the price of a 35mm snipe, you could purchase a cheap used slide projector on ebay and have a Kodalith slide made that would never wear out. Plus you could leave it on screen the entire intermission if you wanted. Also on 3 reel movies, you wouldn't have to have that second copy.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celine, I might have an extra Intermission snipe. I'm not sure if it's 15 seconds or not, but I can check.

But Brad is right-- you might as well just have a slide projector put it up throughout the entire intermission.

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We actually do have a slide projector up by the port glass. It doesn't get used anymore. In thinking about it, the tricky part (since nothing is automated) would be turning it on at the same time as the reel ends.

It is on the non-operator side of the projector (the only place it will fit). So, there is no easy way to get to it without walking down 3 stairs (the projector is built onto a platform) and around to the other side of the projector, then climbing a step ladder to reach it ;-)

The timing would not be smooth. That is why having it attached at the end of the reel is so easy for a smooth transition.

Jack, that would be great if you have one! We really only show it for about 5-10 seconds...so, it could be longer if that is what was available...but it certainly doesn't need to be.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 07:27 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Filmack studios in Chicago. They make all kinds of snipes and intermission trailers. www.filmack.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2009 08:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have ANY sort of automation hooked into your projector, or do you just flip the motor switch on and strike the lamp and walk away?

If you do, there are plenty of ways to automate the slide projector.

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 08:41 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No automation at all.

Bring down houselights, strike the lamp, flip the motor, open the douser while turning up the volume, etc. Somewhat reversed for intermission, of course!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 08:47 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A somewhat dirty way to do it would be to measure the number of feet to where you'd want the switch to happen at and calculate how many mins & secs that is then set a timer to turn on your slide projector.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How about just using a switched outlet? Have an electrician install a light switch controlling the outlet that the slide projector is plugged into.

Need something cheaper? A $5 outlet strip with switch! [Wink]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 09:53 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the same thing but preferred thinking of something semi-automated. [Razz]

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2009 10:32 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! That is why I asked! Needed some ideas that would have taken me a while to come to...a light switch to control the slide projector ;-)

I do like the 'feel' of the 35mm intermission trailer...but, the slide might be a nice and easy option.

Thanks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: