Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AVATAR 35mm DTS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AVATAR 35mm DTS
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 05:20 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If any of You guys are still as hopelessly oldfashionned as me, going to run AVATAR in 35mm, I would like to ask if You've run Your test and if it works. None of my three dts heads are able to track the time-code at all.

Greetings from very snowy Denmark

Per

|  IP: Logged

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 05:27 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Per,

I played it last night and all of today with DTS and it played flawlessly. No problems whatsoever.

Cheers
Michael

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 12:09 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Won't track the time code? Does this mean the green LED is not coming on at the reader head? Did the last DTS print work ok with the TC head and player? Is there TC on all of your reels? Many things to check, always start with looking to see if good timecode is being received at the head, normally indicated by the green LED coming on. This will simply indicate Timecode is present on the film and the head is reading it, If you don't have a green LED could be problems with the print, TC head, or possible TC cable. If a solid green LED is on at the head and the player is indicating it's receiving good TC this opens up a list of other things to check at the player end.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-17-2009 12:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Per Hauberg
None of my three dts heads are able to track the time-code at all.

?...have you tried to adjust the drum alignment screw, which is under the cover, a bit..? Been many times that I've had to do this adjustment on prints that won't track correctly..

..or, your drums have been out of alignment and this movie is letting you know about it ...

..and if this doesn't work, you could have weak LED's within the readers..that needs to be turned up..

Some areas to peek at.

good luck-Monte

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 04:20 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all three

Yes, the TC is present on all reels, and No, -the green led is not on at any time - on three different projectors.
Yes, -other DTS prints are running the same day without trouble.
No, -I did not peel off the sticker (yet - since 1994). Factory adjusted, You know [Razz] [Wink]

P.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 07:32 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look closely at the time code on the film. Is there anything interfering with it? I have seen prints where the picture is printed too far over, and the frame lines are encroaching into the time code.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 08:20 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI our dts player is on the fritz and has been for months.
we need new drives but i know my drive b sort of works
the attached played in dts flawlessly after the attached played it was noting I turned the dts unit off so this might just be limited to a few prints.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the TC area of the film for damage. We had a print once where a previous cinema had run the print "off" one of the sprockets, and the sprocket teeth had made very tiny dents in the film directly on top of the timecode. Results were similar to the situation here -- no DTS playback, and no LED light. I assume the little dents made it impossible for the TC to focus in the reader.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 05:06 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Per Hauberg
No, -I did not peel off the sticker (yet - since 1994). Factory adjusted, You know
..sometimes, you gotta break the rules to work to your advantage at times ... [Big Grin]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-18-2009 06:11 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per,

Do you have any other theatres you could check with to see if it's just a common print problem in your country? Seems very strange that all three projectors are not reading even the presence of time code.

Is it the whole print or just reel 1?

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2009 04:16 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work tomorrow night I will fire up the old dts6 with disk a in drive b... someday i need to put more 9 dollar drives in our dts unit. From their I can tell you if its just reel 1 or all the reels. I am betting the length of the film they dropped reel 1 because the dts disks cary the sparks and thx trailers and other things on them cutting the usable playback time to 70 minutes or so. Its 2 disk and a 160 minute movie. Reel 1 was short by the way.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2009 08:23 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, 1 print tracked the DTS fine here in Spain.

Magnus Almqvist
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 06:21 PM      Profile for Magnus Almqvist   Email Magnus Almqvist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least two copies here in Stockholm, Sweden; have a bad timecode on reel 1. It plays for about 3-4 minutes, and then drops out. And the led keeps on flashing until reel 2, then everything is alright for the rest of the movie. [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 06:42 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to you, Magnus! [thumbsup]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 09:04 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys that are having trouble running DTS must have a Dolby SRD print. Or maybe a Dolby A print. Or possibly an SDDS print. Or maybe an SDDS-8 print. You might even have a CDS print. Or a mag/op print. Maybe it's mono. Perhaps it's silent - or has a variable density track. You might even have an Ultra Stereo print.

I'm just guessing, of course.

I heard the director wanted a different version of the movie for every possible scenario.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: