Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 3 phase 220 volt wiring (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 3 phase 220 volt wiring
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a theater the other day and came across something new to me. While measuring the 3 phases at the panel, two of them measured 120 volts to ground. The third phase measured 220 volts to ground. I didn't know that you could hook this up to a 3 phase rectifier. How doesn't it damage anything?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 03:11 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a high-leg delta service. The phase-phase voltage for all 3 phases is 240V, but one of the sides of the delta is center-tapped and grounded (that's the neutral). This gives you two phases of 120V for lighting and small loads, and 240V 3 phase for your larger loads. The 3rd leg should be about 208V to ground, and shouldn't be used phase-ground.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So then the 3 phase rectifiers should be set to the setting closest to 240volts incoming voltage I assume.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 04:18 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert is quite correct. This used to be a fairly common service for commercial buildings with single-phase "light" meters and three-phase "power" meters. This was driven by (1) a higher kw-h rate for lighting service than for power service, and (2) the use of a larger tapped transformer connected in delta with two smaller transformers.

You would be correct in setting the rectifier transformer taps for 240-volts.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Measure between the phases and set the taps accordingly. Don't measure between each phase and neutral to determine this. You'll still get 208...210 or what ever the building is set up for when you measure between any two phases.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-15-2009 09:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would be the famed "wild leg"...

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-16-2009 12:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(thought it was called, "crazy leg" .. [Big Grin] )

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-16-2009 12:59 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Legs - Rod Stewart

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2009 02:03 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the same wiring set up at our shop. we call it the "Hot Leg"

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-16-2009 08:33 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the legs are hot in a 3-phase system. High leg delta (aka, "wild leg")

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2009 10:24 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim. That was very helpful.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-16-2009 04:10 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually you see 2 breakers in the panel, a spacer, then a repeat. Dead givaway that "wild leg" is a possibility.

Sometimes you can use the wild leg as one side of a 220/240 single phase load, opening up more 120v breaker positions. Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2009 04:28 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like a single phase 220 Orc power supply?

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the legs are hot in a 3-phase system

I think that goes without saying.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: