Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » motor caught on fire! any idea why? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: motor caught on fire! any idea why?
Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 05:20 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

in the middle of a show last week one of our projectors drive motors literally caught on fire. Lickly nobody was hurt and the only damage seems to be to the motor itself.

My question is this, why did it do it?

As soon as i recieved the phone call i rushed in to do a damage assesment. When i got there the fire service were letting people back into the building and doing a safety check. Once they left, i isolated all power to that machine and removed the motor. Interestingly enough, the projector mechanism is undamaged and rotated freely with no roughness or binding. The drive belt was intact and in good condition. The motor housing had not mooved and even the motor itself was freely rotating. So what caused the blaze?

apparently the flames were about 4 feet high and green, as if the coper in the windings itself was burning. The machine was running fine for 20 minutes when the motor just stopped and caught ablaze.

I have checked the inverter output and all electrical wiring to the motor controls and within the motor itself and cannot find a problem. The motor is less than 2 years old and very clean.

Got a new one on the way so will be up and running tomorrow, but i just dont understand why it happened [Frown]

Is worrying for the future considering the other machine has an identical motor on it

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 07:21 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without dis-assembly it would be difficult to tell. You could do a visual of the internal components and look for damage. If there is a warranty, let the manufacturer or supplier deal with it.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 07:49 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may have had a motor that was not rated for invertor control, overheated windings and breakdown of insulation can be the end result.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 09:24 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long is the wiring run between the inverter and the motor, and is there a reactor (inductor) installed between the inverter and the motor? Reiterating what Richard said, was this motor rated for inverter use?

An inverter connected to a motor with a short length of wiring (under 10 feet or so) won't cause any trouble, regardless of the motor's insulation rating. Problems start popping up with longer lengths of wiring between the inverter and motor, where the distributed capacitance in the wiring combines with the inductance of the motor windings to form a resonant tank circuit, resulting in high voltage spikes at the inverter output's waveform transitions (the inverter sends out a 6kHz or so square wave). These spikes may arc over between windings, eventually causing insulation breakdown, shorted turns, overheating, and finally, fire.

That having been said, the overcurrent protection in the inverter should have protected against fire. The only case where it wouldn't have would be if you are using an inverter meant for a larger motor without properly reducing the inverter's overcurrent setting based on the reduced motor size.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 09:49 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago, I had a Century drive motor
catch fire after the centrifugal switch on the
starting winding went bad and "stuck".

Since the start winding was never meant for
continuous duty, the motor overheated and began
melting the insulation off of the motor windings.

Of course, this happened on my night off.
(Staff Quote: "Gee, we smelled something burning
but didn't think it was anything important.")

For some reason it took a while for the main
circuit breaker to kick off, and by that time
even some of insulation on the wires inside the
BX type cable running to the motor had started
to melt. From what I was told, smoke and blue-green
sparks began shooting from the motor before the
whole thing seized and the breaker tripped.

It took over a week to get the stench out of the booth.

I had to replace the motor and a wholebunca wiring,
including an external "slow start" circuit which
totally melted.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 09:52 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he's running an inverter, then this is a 3 phase motor (induction or synchronous), and there's no centrifugal switch.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 10:28 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The older OEM motors on cnemecanica did hve issues with invertor control especially the low RPM ones as the little fan on the end of the shaft doesn't keep it cool enough
I have usually put a small muffin fan on the end of those motors

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i only have a 4ft cable run between inverter and the motor, so thats not the issue. Inverter still checks out just fine, as does an insulation test on the motor wiring. The circuit breaker never tripped! (but that too checks out OK)

both motorts are rated for inverter use.

The motor was only 2 years old and has never given us a bit of trouble until saturdays fiasco. The motor on the other machine is of similar age.

and yes, the bloody stench is taking ages to go! [Frown]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 12:05 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What're the manufacturer and model of both the inverter and the motor?

--jhawk

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 12:11 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could just have been a manufacturing defect that took a while to become evident. There doesn't seem like anything about the installation that could have caused the motor to burn (reasonable wiring, no locked shafts), although it is odd that the inverter kept the motor running during what should have been an overcurrent condition. Then again, it could have been a high-resistance fault that generated enough heat to start the fire.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-17-2009 02:46 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gavin Lewarne
in the middle of a show last week one of our projectors drive motors literally caught on fire. Lickly nobody was hurt and the only damage seems to be to the motor itself.

My question is this, why did it do it?

Simple: It's the perversity of inanimate objects.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 04:23 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
frank, do you mean how things that are not meant to break do so in a terrible way?

yesterday, the battery on my dads car burst spewing acid all over the engine compartment.

its a 6 month old beemer that now needs totally new engine electronics.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-17-2009 05:10 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a possibility the problem is in the inverter and NOT the motor itself?

A spontaneously combusting motor seems a rarity.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2009 05:41 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank:

I had a college prof who used that exact phrase. Today I guess it would be [bs] happens.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-17-2009 10:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the motor properly fused, was the invertor fused? If the motor was thermally protected (internally fused) then the manufacturer may be liable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: