Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Pro-35 and their "issues" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pro-35 and their "issues"
Jeff Knoll
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2009 09:30 PM      Profile for Jeff Knoll   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Knoll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a bunch of early Bal Pro-35s in service and we need to replace them. We have a line on some late model Strong Pro-35s that will fit our budget but I am curious is the intermittent coupling issue was resolved or whether these newer units will end up having the same issues.

Thanks!

Jeff

|  IP: Logged

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 01:13 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just had the couplings in one of our pro 35s replaced its from 89 i know we have some ones from the 70s without the turret that had the same issue. I think avg life on the coupling is like 15 years.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 10:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If people don't rack the framer all the time I have had few coupler issues and we still have a lot of old VIPs in service

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 12:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..in short.."please learn how to frame when threading.." I also know of some older PROs that still have their original couplers..

..it's the danged selenoid that holds the dowser open that gets me at times..

-Monte

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 03:37 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We thread in frame but the coupler wares out after 20 years. And we had a solenoid go out a few months ago... its still held open with a bent up coat hanger. Do you know the best place to get a replacement.

Jeff Knoll
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 04:20 PM      Profile for Jeff Knoll   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Knoll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious as to why you have to replace them? I could see if you wanted to get out of the pro 35 business but W\why not just replace the coupler or better yet upgrade to the "Disney" version which should last forever instead of replacing the whole machine?

(Im waiting to hear how the equipment dealer told him the could not be repaired and had to be replaced...)

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty of used Century/Simplex around. Why not shoot for an improvement? Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2009 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget installing any of the Ballantoones! Certain gate/trap parts are now non existant and the machine is really at the end of it's useful service life. On top of that none of the steel parts in them are hardened. They are all soft steel... so if you happen to have a film jam or pile up in the machine you'll bend the radius of the star wheel and damage it among other things. Even the webbed version of the star doesn't preclude this happenning. Price some of the intermttent parts on the LaVezzi Store website!

You generally don't have this sort of trouble with Simplex and Century and parts for them are plentiful from several sources.

Ballantoones were only so-so machines when they were new!!

Mark

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2009 01:57 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should bring that up Mark...I just replaced a pro-35 Intermittent today, and a soundhead sprocket shaft (also notorius for wearing out) They are indeed getting more and more expensive to repair. Unless you are getting machines that someone has gone through recently...don't bother.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-16-2009 07:33 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always reminded me of "Ballantyne the Magician." You know, the old lecherous stage magician whose tricks never worked out right; great comedy act back in the 60s or 70s. Louis

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2009 09:38 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeff Knoll
We have a bunch of early Bal Pro-35s in service and we need to replace them. We have a line on some late model Strong Pro-35s
???? Why would you have to replace machines that are in service?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-16-2009 11:28 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parts! [Mad]

I replaced some gate shoes once... they had none in stock... had to have them made. Just about could have bought a Century for what that fix cost me.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-16-2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..like having a YUGO up in the booth...gonna get replaced sooner or later.. [Big Grin]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-16-2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yugo. Great car. Zero to 60 in four tries.

My only experience with Bals was while occasionally helping out in the complete Ballantyne package booth at the long-gone Spring Mountain 3 here. From what I remember I wasn't much impressed with their operation - especially the platters. It was a quick and cheap install though, good enough for that "three movies for a dollar" house.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: