Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Avatar's Aspect Ratio Craziness (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Avatar's Aspect Ratio Craziness
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-11-2009 01:48 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's being reported in the FITA forum that Avatar will have both a flat and a scope version in DLP and that the theaters are required to figure out which version will get the maximum screen size in each auditorium.

In an effort to keep the chit-chat out of the "no chit-chat" forum... let me be the first to say... "what the hell are they thinking?" I can think of a couple of theaters that will not surprise me in the least if they get this wrong.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-11-2009 03:13 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-11-2009 03:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone all together now: "Avatar in a theater with top masking sucks!!!" [Razz]

Jeremy Spracklen
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 04:31 PM      Profile for Jeremy Spracklen   Email Jeremy Spracklen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it just be safer/easier to release it as "full container"?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-11-2009 04:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So will each theater also get flat and scope prints (and by "prints" I mean real, actual 35mm film if any of you guys remember that horseshit) and be forced to play whatever is biggest in any given auditorium? It only seems logical to me.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2D is SCOPE, any version of 3D (be in IMAX or digital) is FLAT. The End. Not all too confusing

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-11-2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam - WRONG! Everyone ignore his post.

Digital prints shown in quality, thoughtfully designed auditoriums with proper side masking will get a scope presentation. Digital prints shown in shitty auditoriums with suck-ass top or scissor masking will be presenting a craptacular flat presentation. Theater complexes with a mixture of masking types will fuck it all up.

Joe, I actually asked that question. All 35mm prints will be in the proper aspect ratio, scope.

Jeremy! OMG!!! JEREMY!!! Your yearly posting! [Smile] Full container wouldn't work too well because the eyeline of the compositions would then be off. If you look at the special features of the Terminator 2 laserdisc you will see how they frame down for a 16:9 ratio to preserve decent composition.

Wait, did I just say laserdisc? Who am I kidding, nobody has those anymore.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-11-2009 05:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just me!

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't Cameron just make a NORMAL movie like everyone else?

[bs]

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 07:28 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my T2 laserdisc box set. The one with the silver T2 logo - and a DVL-700 that still works. How many people have the Abyss box set where Cameron calls home video "Crap Vision VHS tape" [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-11-2009 07:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still have my T2 laserdisc box set. The one with the silver T2 logo ... How many people have the Abyss box set where Cameron calls home video "Crap Vision VHS tape"

I also have "the Abyss" LD boxed set in the CAV format...and two copies of "T2", but in the CLV format.."Dang!" finding them cheap in thrift stores....

Yea, just like with Disney's "G-force" having the letterbox, flat version for the 3D release against where the film version was in good ol' anamorphic format....a go-figure thing ...

quote: Jack Theakston

He did..why you'll see it on DVD and BR for home video..along with tonnage of other cinemas playing the film version.
-Monte

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 09:32 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So then this why Fox called us back in September to find out what type of masking we had on both of our digital screens.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 10:17 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Jeremy! OMG!!! JEREMY!!!
Hey! What's up? [thumbsup]
oh... nevermind

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-12-2009 01:45 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering that too, Joe. I think AMC should request all scope movies to be available in flat also since someone over there thought top movable masking was such a fantastic idea.

What's "full container"?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-12-2009 01:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Theakston
Because then he can't hype the film by saying "it is a TOTALLY NEW film experience never seen before" or some such pile of bragerty nonsense that they have been using in the promotion. Oh wait.....I forgot; he can say any total [bs] he wants in hype, especially when he's king of the effin world and all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: