Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Laser Alignment Kits (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Laser Alignment Kits
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2009 08:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the coveted Align-O-Tron, what is another good laser alignment kit? I'm looking to do a complete alignment from lens back to reflector on Super Highlight consoles (X60 light bench) with Christie P35C heads.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-08-2009 07:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton makes a better alignment tool... a bit more expensive but not that bad. I have both the alignotron and the Kinoton and the alignotron's laser diode does not point straight. There should have been facilities inside it to align the diode itself. Its ok for short distance alignment though. Its fairly easy to make one... You can also just make one out of a laser pointer... have any machine shop make you a 70.6mm O.D. alumnium bushing with the proper inner bore to accomodate the laser pointer. If you need 4" then just throw the 70.6mm adaptor with laser pointer bushing into a 4" adaptor.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received my Kinoton kit, plugged it in and...nothing... The power supply is putting out a little over 5v. I don't see an on/off switch on the unit. Did I receive a defective unit?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 08:55 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy
How much did the kit cost?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-23-2009 09:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and what exactly comes in the kit, if you please?
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
You can also just make one out of a laser pointer.
Just curious... how can you be sure the laser pointer points straight?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 09:15 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$615 if I remember the quote correctly as I haven't yet received the invoice.

This should be a visible laser correct? Also, anyone have English instructions. My German isn't so good; well it might be had I taken it. That's what I get for taking French instead.

Edit for Tim:

It comes with the laser device to mount in the lens barrel much like the Align-O-Tron and power supply with an adapter (from Radio Shack) to plug in to US 110v outlet.

I'd post pics except someone ran off with my USB cord for my camera. [Mad]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-23-2009 10:21 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The late Bill Sanders of Christie carried one for years, but stopped. Would work perfectly IF all reflectors were symetrical. Since they are not, it was only good enough to get you close.

A crutch. Perfect alignment can be done many ways. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2009 10:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kinoton tool is incandescent. Works good though. I have one and use it from time to time. You could have had a machine shop make one with a laser for alot less $$...

quote: Tim Reed
Just curious... how can you be sure the laser pointer points straight?

Easy! Just place it in accurate V-Blocks project the dot say 10 feet away and rotate it. The dot should stay in one place. If not(as with the align-O-Tron)the dot will make it's own circle.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
Perfect alignment can be done many ways.
You can try the many ways but perfect alignment is impossible to achieve unless the reflector itself is perfectly concentric!! Never is...

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 10:44 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so I'm not thinking incorrectly, I should just be able to plug this in and have some type of visible light emitting from it?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 02:34 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's the same as mine, then you should get a very visible green light emitted from the LED.

Perhaps the PSU polarity is wrong?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-24-2009 06:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm my "light projector" uses an incandescent lamp and yes, it is quite visible.

As for alignment, I use both the laser and the light projector...it is really the fastest and most accurate method.

Use the laser to get the center of the reflector dead center to the aperture and lens. Then use the light projector to aim the reflector EXACTLY back to the film and lens...you just can't beat it.

As for concentric...glass reflectors will do much better but every once in a while, you'll get a metal one that will surprise you...then again every once in a while you'll get a metal reflector that practically puts out a spirograph image!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-24-2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted a "light projector". I saw a video of a guy using one once, and thought 'THAT'S the way to align a lamp!'

How much does it cost, Steve?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 11:00 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, I made a trip to Strong to check on 5 Megasystem projectors before they were shipped to China. I was doing the install, so I wanted to make sure the shit was right before they were shipped. One of the guys at the plant was "aligning" a lamphouse in one of them, so I had to watch! When he was done moving the lamp table, yoke, collet around...he got his laser dead on. I rotated the lens holder and it moved the light(laser) around by a few inches. I just told him to get them close, I always redo them in the field anyway. Shipping always messes them up and I check them during the install

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-24-2009 12:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to get a current price in 2010.

Steve

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 07:08 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
Perhaps the PSU polarity is wrong?
That's certainly a possibility. Anybody know what the polarity should be? I believe the center is positive on the PS plug. I see no markings on the laser itself. I don't want to do any disassemblely of the laser or modification to the PS to find out and void any warranty or ability to be able to return it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: