Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Interlocking Christie and Strong projectors

Author Topic: Interlocking Christie and Strong projectors
Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2009 03:40 AM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can Christie & Strong projector be interlocked using the same automation.Can it be done ? Any suggestion's..?

[ 12-07-2009, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-07-2009 08:35 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of a reason why that wouldn't work.

I edited your post as the title you selected was not very descriptive.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-07-2009 08:45 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So long as both projectors run at similar speed and you have accumulators capable of taking up any slack, it doesn't matter if the one projector is from Mars and one projector is from Jupiter. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-07-2009 12:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming the projectors do run at the same speed (and by that I mean over the course of a couple of hours), the issue is in the startup. One (probably the Christie) will most probably get up to speed faster. As such if you were starting with the Christie and taking up on the Strong, then you would have to pull your accumulator almost fully tight when threading.

By the way, it is best not to call your projector a Strong. The company Strong makes Simplex, Century, Ballantyne, etc and they all have different characteristics.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-07-2009 01:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the unit made by Strong has a sync motor powering the unit - not an induction motor.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2009 01:30 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Startup is a concern for us when interlocking and we have all Simplex's. Good thing we interlock once every 5 years or so.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2009 07:01 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have only interlocked between our simplex heads.
We also do it between our strong pro35 heads.
The 4 simplex heads that we have don't have sync motors I would suggest doing some trials to make sure your machines run a similar speed because you don't want to run out of room on the accumulators half way through a set.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-08-2009 12:19 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't even consider it without synchronous motors. The accumulator should then only serve to hold up the failsafe of the projector ahead of it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2009 10:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not consider it unless they are sync motors the accumulator really is there to allow for the ramp up and down at start and stop

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2009 09:34 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 people starting the motors manually... that way you can start one a couple seconds early or late to make up for the spin-up time. I still don't recommend it, but it can get your around uneven motor startup speeds.
I don't need no stinkin' interlock [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-10-2009 03:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarret Chessell
2 people starting the motors manually...
This is the easy part. Hard part if one unit doesn't have a sync motor on it ... You'd better find the one that runs faster and let that one feed to the slower one with accumulator rollers almost all the way to the top so the rollers can come down..

Interlocking is FUN to do ... [Big Grin]

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: