Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex xl intermittent repair (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simplex xl intermittent repair
Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2009 05:50 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Simplex xl (model pr-1003) that the intermittent went out while previews were playing. No wrap, had oil, just stopped working. It was sounding louder than normal before it happened.

I have what I believe to be above average mechanical skills. How difficult is it to take the intermittent out and back in? Anyone have good instructions on how to take it out?

Or, is it wise just to send the projector off and have a service person remove it and look over the entire projector?

Recommendations for who to send off to service the intermittent? I have used American Cinema Equipment, Tri-State Theater, & Hadden in the past for parts/equipment/supplies, etc.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2009 06:17 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Removing the intermittent is simple, but taking it apart is another thing. All of this is described in the manual that I believe is on this site. I wouldn't attempt to try the first time alone. Either send it off to be serviced, or find a tech who can walk you through the whole thing.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-06-2009 07:35 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the best rebuilder of intermittents in the US - if not the world - is Ed Wyatt at Hadden. The man is phenomenal. He's the son of a watchmaker, and has spent his life doing precision work. Ed runs intermittents in on a sounding board to tune them whisper quiet!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-06-2009 08:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick Prather does excellent work

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-06-2009 08:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done about 7 of them... piece of cake to do..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-06-2009 08:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd highly reccomend Randy Bowden at American Cinema Equipment. Randy is an excellent rebuilder. I also do them but am way to tied up right now and you need it done right away... I'm not a big fan of repair/exchange system and there are also a few dealers that will also ship you a loaner overnight so you can get right back on screen till yours is rebuilt.

Mark

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2009 02:16 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I would be happy to perform the repair for you. If you need assistance with removing it from the projector, just give me a ring and I'll talk you through it. Dick Prather also does good work, in fact he's just down the street from ACE.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2009 08:45 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Frese
Or, is it wise just to send the projector off and have a service person remove it and look over the entire projector?
What??? No, it is not wise to send the projector to a service person. It is wise to hire a good tech to come onsight and fix the problem.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-10-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are missing the point that he has already swapped out the head, which is something he has a comfort level with. The head is decades old and has never been properly serviced.

Perhaps it is time for its day at the rebuilder (or at least the overhauler). A lot of work can be performed cheaply at the shop, where the same work would exceed the cost of a new projector "on site." Louis

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 10:11 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
You are missing the point that he has already swapped out the head, which is something he has a comfort level with. The head is decades old and has never been properly serviced.
Louis,
No offense, but what point am I missing? He never stated that he swapped out the head and he didn't say it hasn't been properly serviced. He asked about removing the intermittent because it "stopped working" during previews. If he needs instructions on how to remove the intermittent, I seriously doubt that he can swap projector heads. Mike, no offense to you either.

Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-12-2009 11:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of work can be performed cheaply at the shop, where the same work would exceed the cost of a new projector "on site."
I don't know about your labor rates but ours are the same in shop or in the field. I've overhauled many a Simplex and Century while still mounted in place on the sound head... bearings, gaskets,Intermittent, you name it. There's no reason a projector rebuilt in place in the booth should cost as much as a new one!! Sans new paint any capable tech should be able to do it while in the booth

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-12-2009 03:54 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Able is no issue.

But if you include travel time, motel, expenses and time you soon reach a number that is obscene. In the shop, I have power equipment and a bottomless pit of the exact right parts. It is impossible to carry the parts needed unless you service projectors which are basically complete. The ones we see were purchased in the 50s or 50s, never maintained, and there are numerous parts missing, castings cracked and have parts that NEVER fail missng or broken. Many are indoor XL's in a drive in with the wrong pump/indicator hardware and the wrong shutter.

The secret to field service is to do a complate job in one pass or to "slap -it-on-the-ass" and run. I will NEVER do the latter no matter what. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-12-2009 03:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Louis on this one. Our rates are slightly cheaper in the shop, the shop affords a much more conducive work environment. Just about every part or tool needed is also within feet of the work space. Regardless of the job, I can do a more thorough and faster job in the shop under those condition than in the field.

Unfortunately, most of the time, yes field repairs are the norm (you are not going to bring a projector back to the shop just to change a gear).

I see Louis posted right above me...we do have "Field Kits" that have just about every part for a particular projector you could need (gears, bearings, shafts, tension bands...etc)...it is relatively small and complete enough to cover 99% (and maybe more, I can't think the last time I didn't have the part). Even with that, I'll take the shop repair every time.

Steve

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-12-2009 04:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have power equipment and a bottomless pit of the exact right parts.
Bottomless pit is an understatement! Hadden is like ACRES of machine shop, paint dept., projector remanufacturing dept., parts warehouse, freight/shipping docks, used equipment warehouse, research lab, new equipment manufacturing dept.; automation, film guidance, and sound rack staging, a huge dance floor... you can't see the whole place in a day! [Big Grin] [beer] [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-12-2009 06:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inexpensive tours available Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: