Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Home-made Lamp Terminator - Problems!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Home-made Lamp Terminator - Problems!!
Cathal Griffin
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 11:32 AM      Profile for Cathal Griffin   Author's Homepage   Email Cathal Griffin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

I've got a local engineering crew to build me a lamp terminator. It turned out looking perfect but will not actually break any lamps :-). I'm guessing that I need to get a different tip to the piece that puts pressure on the lamp but thought I'd put it up here before I go any further. Any ideas?

Here's a pic so you get what I mean.

-

At the moment, the threaded bar is wound down and puts a crushing force on the lamp. I've tried it with a 2k OSRAM lamp but it just seems to scuff the lamp. The lamp isn't moving around or anything, it just seems to hold under the pressure.

Cheers,
Cathal

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 11:47 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, what we won't do to have fun! Awesome project, Cathal! How about changing the contact point with a sharp pointed impailer rather than the flat one. Same pressure, only concentrated at a smaller point might be more effective. Or, instead of screwing down the impaler, how about letting impaler shaft slide freely up and down. Spring load it so it stays up, then you can whack it down with a hammer. Hopefully you have enough room in the box for there to be enough space for the impaler to move up and down between the bulb and the top of the box.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 12:19 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect! Louis

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-03-2009 12:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comment deleted (redundant with Frank's post).

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very ingenious device, but why bother? I have had no problems with taping the bulb up in its box and throwing it against a wall. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But there are so many FUN ways to destroy a bulb!!! After all, nothing beats keeping a 6K handy while driving in traffic. [Razz]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 01:19 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flat tip will be spreading whatever force the screw is putting on the lamp across a fairly large area.

Change the flat tip to a pointed one (preferably hardened) and I'd reckon it would work OK.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 01:23 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad's right of course.. and another fun one involves the bulb, an open space and the firearm of your choice.... [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-2009 01:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
oooooooooooooooooh, that one is a favorite. It comes with an added bonus, if you miss you still win! [Big Grin]

Cathal Griffin
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 01:32 PM      Profile for Cathal Griffin   Author's Homepage   Email Cathal Griffin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers for the advice guys, back to the drawing board I guess. Thankfully, the tip just screws off so not that big a mod to sharpen it. I'll keep ye posted.

Regarding the reasoning behind this, we've got some pretty tight health and safety rules at our cinema. I would never let my projectionists out screwing around with lamps... we've all seen the videos on youtube and I don't fancy trying to explain myself when something goes wrong. When this eventually works it'll all be contained nicely.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 04:21 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just build in some non-conductive mounts and run 80A through the bulb while in that box with no ventilation. I'm sure your lamp will explode in no time! [Big Grin]

--jhawk

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 06:24 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me, I know of 2 old IMAX bulbs. Wonder what that would look like dropped off a roof? [Big Grin] Or does anyone have a better idea for these monsters?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someeone should make those and sell them! BRAD..... [thumbsup]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 07:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about dispensing with the threaded rod all together. Just get a rod that is only large enough to slip through the hole. Put a cross pin in it to keep it from coming out if you like. Sharpen the end of the rod to a point.

Then put the lamp in the box, close it up and hit the rod with a hammer. Bang! Busted lamp!

This is similar to how we used to break them at Cinemark. We'd put them in the cardboard box and poke a large Philips screwdriver through the cardboard until it contacted the glass. Then one sharp crack with a hammer busted the lamp and we simply tossed the whole box in the dumpster.

BTW: I have shot xenon lamps with bullets. It's a pretty spectacular explosion. Pieces of glass and metal can fly several yards!

An air rifle won't break a xenon, even from close up. There's just not enough mass in the projectile. It just goes, "Tink!" and bounces off. It barely leaves a mark.

A .22 cal standard velocity will break a xenon lamp easily even from distances of over 75 yards. Never shot one at 100 yards. It's too hard to see the carnage.

I've also tried it with a .223 cal. but it's no different than the .22 LR.

One thing I haven't tried yet is a .54 cal. muzzle loader. That ought to be fun! But shooting flintlocks is just fun by itself.

One of these days I'd like to get out the video camera and make a movie of a xenon lamp being shot by a bullet.

Too bad I don't have a hi-speed camera. [Shrug]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 12-03-2009 07:16 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Put the bulb in the box;
2. Close and latch the box;
3. Do not tighten the pressure screw;
4. Throw out of a third floor window onto concrete (if this doesn't work, keep going up a floor each time and throw until it breaks or you can't find it.) [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: