Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » EX Format Dying breed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: EX Format Dying breed
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2009 05:56 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there ANY movies being encoded in EX today in cinema? EX is greatly used in home theaters. We've been the first to install EX throughout Greece and Cyprus for the Phantom Menace release and today almost no movie is EX encoded. There isn't even a list of EX encoded films anymore.
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-29-2009 06:11 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'UP' was the only film we played in EX this year.

[Roll Eyes]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-29-2009 07:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all the Bollywood films are ex encoded

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2009 01:01 AM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ponyo (English Dubbed Version) was also...

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-01-2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of Studio Ghibli's films have been EX once the format became available, just not in the US.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2009 11:45 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a waste of time, money, and effort for an effect that possibly 1% of the audience might discern.

Really, unless the EX effect is really exaggerated do you think any of the main stream simpletons would have any clue that they are being treated to an EX production.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-04-2009 11:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no...The EX format also helps with "steering" the surround sound.

I'm actually using an EX decoder in a long-narrow screening room, regardless of EX encoding just to steer the audio towards the rear...it works rather well.

Personally, I think that it should have be a 4-channel surround so that the surround information could be pulled back and into a corner rather than just sides and rear....again with steering the surrounds, 4 channels would have been better. To add insult to injury, you have to wire for 4-channel surrounds anyway. Most EX decoders, however, only give you 3-channels of EQ...which means the EQ is wrong for either 5.1 or EX on the side surrounds.

Steve

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2009 04:56 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EX is just the latest in a long list of theatre equipment sold to the exhibitor only to have the studios stop supporting the format - with the equipment ending up gathering dust in the back room. 70MM anyone? A cautionary tale for those who seek to push digital 3D.

Of course it certainly makes the equipment dealers happy when the new gimmicks appear since it gives a boost to their sales.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-04-2009 06:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? You are going to poke at 70mm? It was in pretty decent use from 1954 until about 1993...40-years on a technology is phenomenal. It still isn't obsoleted today but I stop it at 1993 as that is when the studios stopped doing the big releases in it as a rule.

Digital audio on film in cinemas, if you believe the "film is dead" folks, will have a shorter life than either 4-track mag on 35mm or 70mm.

How many things in life really stay popular or supported 10-20 or 30 years after introduction? There certainly are a few but most technology doesn't enjoy such a long life.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-04-2009 06:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan M. Crist
Of course it certainly makes the equipment dealers happy when the new gimmicks appear since it gives a boost to their sales.

The whole time I've been in this buisness.... 32 years... I have never pushed any of the "Gimmiks" unless the customer insisted on having it. There were already expensive doorstops in place from previous eras in this biz when I started out!!!

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-04-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it is true that there are times when the new technology boosts sales...EX was one of those. I, personally, don't know of any dealer that pushed for it though. All of the exhibitors told US they HAD to have it by May 19th (Star Wars Ep. 1). The exhibitors were literally begging us! And were very thankful when we told them we could get them set up in time. SA-TENs were in very short supply with both the UK and US cranking them out as fast as they could.

When I was putting it in I actually felt pretty bad about it...the SA-TEN was such an ill conceived product that every time I put one in, there was a "gotcha" in there. It played the nicest with the CP500...with the CP55/65 you had to modify the control board, the DA20 had to have resistors cut out and non-Dolby processors had their own set of "whoops". It did okay with the CP200 as well (what doesn't?).

I remember loading up an Astro van with SA-TENs, QSC amps, and wire/cable and then going from theatre to theatre putting them in/tuning...calling Dolby to find the latest kludge that needed to be done...and it all turned out to be a bit of a sham in that I later heard that the exhibitors didn't need to install it after all...they were just encouraged to. But everyone wanted to relive the 1977 boxoffice experience again.

So as a Dealer, yeah new desirable technology can often help the bottom line but you'd be hard pressed to find many dealers in this industry that are PUSHING the latest piece of crap the moment it comes out. Just the opposite...it often opens the doors to a whole list of new problems. In the case of EX...I don't recall anyone that I spoke with really touting as being great. At least with digital audio, there was a clear and immediate impact on the sound track...particularly the discrete part of it as well as the increased dynamic range over the optical track. It also got us stereo surrounds for the masses. And even with that...the headaches came...tracking issues, film coming out of readers...roll around rack systems...you name it.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-04-2009 08:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not call any of them a gimmick
EX is still supported and used by many foreign producers
70mm is not gimmick
and as steve said cinemascope and mag has lasted longer than any other new technology

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2009 11:01 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My big theatre no longer has EX sound. I've only had one title that used it in over 3 years.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-06-2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
How many things in life really stay popular or supported 10-20 or 30 years after introduction? There certainly are a few but most technology doesn't enjoy such a long life.
VHS tape has lasted longer than most formats; and how long have CDs been around now, ~25 years?.

As for cinema equipment that was short-lived, how about:

Kinemacolor projectors.
Vitaphone turntables.
Tri-ergon 42mm sound system.
Fox Grandeur and other wide-film projectors from the same era.
Fantasound equipment.
Push-pull sound reproducers.
Vistavision projectors.
ARC-120 attachments.
Perspecta integrators.
Quintaphonic sound.
Two-strip 3-D.
Single-strip side-by side anamorphic 3-D.
Sensurround.
CDS digital sound.
First generation 1.3k digital cinema projectors.
LC Concepts sound on magneto-optical disc.
Several other digital sound systems that never got anywhere.

We probably can't include 55.625 mm 6-perf projectors since I don't think any ever made it to an actual installation, but if the format had lasted a few more months it might have had a similar status to Vistavision projectors.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-06-2009 03:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest EX has been more of a nuisance then it has done good. Aside from using it for sterring as Mr. Guttag has done it can cause utter confusion among new theater owners. I also wonder how many EX decoders are just always left in the on position when they sholdn't be. This is something no one would ever if it just faded away.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: