Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton FP20 flutter at picture start

Author Topic: Kinoton FP20 flutter at picture start
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 05:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of my FP20's sound drums is not coming up to speed within 7 seconds so that there is an audible flutter (i think its flutter) for about 3 or four seconds once on screen. what can i do? right now the flywheel is running with 4 discs..

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 05:34 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Move flywheel by hand to start spinning and than move ear close to it, if you hear any strange sound ball bearings must be changed, also check is something got spliced on sound drum, maybe a piece of tape from splice or so...how old is that FP20 and when last time ball bearing were exchanged?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-22-2009 06:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check the tension on the pinch roller

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2009 03:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
drum is clean. the bearings do make some noise although nothing too bad. tension on the pinch roller seems sufficient. right now, the pinch roller touches the drum and spins with it when no film is present. is that correct or should it be set to only make contact through film?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2009 03:11 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old is this FP20? Is it a Phillips or a Kinoton?

With regard to the lay on roller and it's bearings; does it have tyres on the outer lands of the lay on roller? If so what colour? When did the lay on roller bearings last see a drop or two of Cardan oil?

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2009 04:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a Kinoton, from about 1975. the lay on roller is all metal, no tires. its probably been some time since its bearings have seen any oil, although it does move freely.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2009 04:45 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bearings can be problem....did have one situation, small portable russian KN-13, a friend gave it to me, he used it for some school shows and so, I di get led on reader and new cell, did drill and lathe alot to adopt it with new slit lenses, so I did say le't change two bearings inside, I went to local shop, they did have only FAG, take old out, put new in....and than flutter, and it was damn big, and on whole movie, no mather you did it was same....I did think a bit and put old bearing inside, everything was great again.....if you replace, use SKF, they are okay and have zero problems with it! Because if pressure roller fit's nicely and it speans good (put oil also and clean it before) bearings can be point....

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-28-2009 12:56 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another possibility to check is to make sure there is no end play in that sound drum shaft...I found this out when I had changed my FP-20 optics to BACP reverse scan and didn't fully seat the flywheel assembly on one machine.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 01:24 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeff, did you find the problem?

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2010 05:17 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not yet. i lubed the pinch roller, thats moving fine. there is no end play in the sound drum... it spins freely and (pretty) smoothly... how much tension should there be on the pinch roller? any other ideas?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-16-2010 08:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With just 4 discs, you should be making speed in time.

I would pull the discs, lift the pinch roller and verify a very smooth and free spinning drum. The bearings are open and if they have not been lubed in awhile, I'd definitely lube them...preferably with a synthetic oil like LaVezzi (you don't want it too thick but you don't want it running out either).

Next, make sure the collar is not squeezing against the bearing too tight. You don't want any play in the shaft but you also don't want any extra force either or you will bind the bearings.

Then, put the weights back on and start tensioning the roller. Ideally, get a loop of solid tone, like 1KHz though Dolby-Tone will work...just train yourself about the warble and not confuse it with flutter. Each time, start the projector from a dead stop with the drum stopped too. And time how fast the tone becomes solid...increase the tension 1/8-turn at a time until it is up to speed within 7-seconds.

The FP20 and like soundheads have a very small drum...mechanically, the film is not at a good advantage. One huge benefit of the current RSSD is that the drum is larger, allowing the film to get a better mechanical wrap to get it up to speed.

Steve

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 05:45 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at the risk of sounding ignorant, how/where do i lube the bearings? do i have to remove the collar at the back and slide the drum out?

p.s. would love to have the kinoton RSSD upgrade but unfortunately its out of the budget. however, we've got BACP red light and SR so i'm pretty happy.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2010 10:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have red light but the same small drum.

To lube the bearings you do indeed need to remove the collar the weights screw into and slide the drum shaft out. You will need to be able to do an A-chain afterwards since you will likely need to slide something out of the way to allow the drum to slide out.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: