Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection Service Companies?

Author Topic: Projection Service Companies?
Victoria Karol
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2009 11:48 PM      Profile for Victoria Karol   Email Victoria Karol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, I am looking for companies that provide PM and emergency service across brands (Strong, Christie and Century, etc.) that provide service either nationally or are located on the west coast. I know of Universal Cinema Services out of Texas, but it looks as if they do more installs and design than maintenance and service calls. If anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help! [Smile]

edit: I think I put this in the wrong forum. Sorry, this is my first post on this board...

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 10:52 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats wrong with the guy that is doing it now?

I saw that you are with Cinebarre. I answered this before you changed your post.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2009 12:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone doing an install of a theater SHOULD be the one to service and support it down the road. If that is NOT the case, the theater is setting itself up to get screwed.

Think about it, if company ABC is contracted to do an install, but company XYZ is going to service it...in no way will ABC care if their installation shortcuts will be a maintenance and reliability nightmare for some other company. It is also much more difficult to deal with warranty repairs, and that is assuming new equipment was purchased in the first place. If used equipment was purchased and the installers don't have to maintain it, just start burning your money now.

Also beware of any company that cranks out lots of installs, as the reality is most probably that the quality of their service will be poor due to them only offering their "service" as a means to sell as much new equipment as they can. The scam here is to send the installers in and they are given inadequate time to PROPERLY tweek out each auditorium to provide the highest quality presentation possible before they race to the next install. There is a lot of that out there because the money is in the sale of new equipment, not the servicing nor the installation costs.

Film-Tech provides installation, servicing and full NOC monitoring and operation for digital installations in addition to new equipment sales, but would not be a cost effective option for you due to your distance and the fact that some other company installed the gear (so the pricing would have to reflect travel costs from Texas and most importantly...the gamble of how sloppy the install was). Try and find someone closeby.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-22-2009 12:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are in Seattle call McRae Theater Equipment. They are really good people to deal with.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-22-2009 12:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Anyone doing an install of a theater SHOULD be the one to service and support it down the road.
That's fine for you modern guys, but the guy who did our first install has been dead for 47 years and the guy who installed our current projector has been dead since 1988. The tech who did our sound system originally has been out of the business for several years. Our only hope is Mark G.! [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2009 12:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a bit different situation Mike. I am talking about the current craze of multiplex theaters that choose one company to do the install (lowest bidder) and then another company to deal with the shortcuts that the installers left behind. When the ACTUAL money spent is added up, this plan actually costs MORE money.

In your scenario, the best thing you can do is find someone who does good work and is reliable like you already have.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 01:15 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McRae Tehatre Equipment

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 01:26 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike, and Clint! at least you didn't say I was dead!! I am moonlighting doing PM calls during the winter though!!! I will be east after the first of the year again!! I hope to stop by!!
I too recommend Mc Rea...known them for lots of years!! Good people, good service!

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 04:05 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, nice to hear from you.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-22-2009 04:13 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur that the McRae's are good people. Not only knowledgeable but just nice guys as well.

Victoria Karol
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Victoria Karol   Email Victoria Karol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the feedback, everyone! I will call MacRae. This is not a situation with an install or a big multiplex, it's a retrofitted tiny little four screen, so MacRae sounds like a good fit. Thanks again.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work for American Cinema Equipment in Portland, OR. We come up to Seattle once in a while. If you need PM work, we could lump you in with another customer and save on travel expenses.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: