Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reverse Scan Reader Gain

Author Topic: Reverse Scan Reader Gain
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2009 03:55 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do all reverse scan readers have an adjustable high/low gain setting?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most have a jumper you cut to increase the gain of each channel

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2009 04:40 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and the reason for wanting this?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are going through LED's too quickly at one place.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2009 05:57 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would help to write the model of the reader and projector head or soundhead. Also a brief description of the set-up. Average life-span of LED is good well 5 years.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 07:30 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may also have a bad reader board or solar cell....a lens problem...or power issues to the LED.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 07:36 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is they last less; about 3 years. If the LED power supplies could be wired to the motor power, they might (depending on usage) last longer since they would not be on all the time. If the heat sink compound is not applied when replacing an LED, it might overheat, reducing it's life.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-17-2009 09:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I typically get 5 to 7 years out of LEDs and here's why...

What Dolby reccomended a number of years ago to prolong LED life is to turn the preamp gain almost all the way up and set the LED current(or voltage depending on make of supply) down to get to Dolby Level then slightly balance out one or both channels as needed to get exact Dolby level. I've done this for years with systems that don't have excess noise in the preamp and it greatly prolongs LED life span. Also make sure that your power supply has been modified if needed. Some older Component Engineering and Kelmar units that were made for IR leds can not be turned down low enough and you'll have extremely short LED life span as a result. I reccomend checking the current through the LED to make sure it's at a reasonable level and the power supply is functioning properly. Also consider switching on and off all reverse scam power supplies in any complex. Since there is typically a delay before going to analog this is generally not a problem. You can sometimes use the generally unused exciter contacts in the automation to do this. The power supply can also be wired across the motor circuit. What ever is easier and meets local codes.

Hope some of this helps....

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-17-2009 10:14 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, BACP units don't have this availability with adjustable LED current (there must be a reason why of this against other units that do have this..).

I just did a BACP LED replacement and reconnected the gain jumpers on the preamp card so I can have more headroom with the preamps levels since they were wide open and I couldn't get Dolby level prior to the install .. and I was getting some decent noise from the wide open preamp card on the CP55 unit.

But the original LED has to be a good 6 yrs old before starting to fade..which I think is a good enough life span.

Now, just need to figure out to be able to switch off the LED while machine is at rest and comes on when power to motor is enacted. This will buy tonnage on LED duration.

-Monte

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-18-2009 12:04 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One reason BACP did not make the LED current adjustable is due the tendency of many techs to reach for the adjustment pot instead of looking at mechanical alignment to make sure you have max light before looking elsewhere.

So say you have an LED way out of alignment. You run the current all the way up to make Dolby level and exacerbate the LED wear issue by running the LED at 300 mA instead of the 150 mA we decided was the best compromise.

Mind you, we made sure there was 8 dB over Dolby level on a properly aligned reader with a new LED. This was intended to make the LED last 5 years more or less after cutting the gain jumpers at about 3 years. It has proven to be about right after 11 years out there in the field.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-18-2009 12:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
looking at mechanical alignment to make sure you have max light before looking elsewhere.

.. like loose holding screws, azimuth adjustments, oil-filled lens tubes, et.al.
quote: Sam D. Chavez
we made sure there was 8 dB over Dolby level on a properly aligned reader with a new LED
Fully agree here. After what I did with the reinstall and got everything back to square with the 'o-scope', I had to really turn down the trimpots on the preamp card just to get the proper dolby tone levels.

thx-Monte

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2009 01:26 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any problems with the gain on the BACP. And been running for years now with no problems.
Demetris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: