Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » second external input to CP50

Author Topic: second external input to CP50
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2009 10:09 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there a way to make a second external input to the CP50 besides non-sync? my guess was into the "in from surround adaptor" on the back, with "future format" selected, and i got nothing.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-2009 01:18 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a duaghter board to allow the mag to go through the EQ
the future is for an external SR adapter

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-11-2009 05:44 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck obtaining any og this stuff now that Dolby no longer supports any of this.

Simple outboard switching into the non-sync should be all you need. Otherwise, newer processors (CP-45, 55, 65 or new Dolby or USL should work. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-11-2009 06:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note, the CP55 and CP65 on Louis' list are also no longer supported.

The Cat 223 is the card Gordon mentions...it was only available for later CP50s too (there will be white plug in jumpers into mating sockets if your unit can support the Cat 223.

SG

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2009 08:24 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jeff,
Folow the instructions of inserting a SRA5 to the audio path. You can inject your signal to the cat160 inputs, where the signal from the SRA5 enters CP50. Then select the input through "future format", and have matrix processing and EQ. Watch out the input levels so you don't overload Cat150xx. You may also use CP50 as an EX processor with the same configuration.

Christos.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-11-2009 09:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to do this with the manual switch card, or is "future format" only available with the automation card?

If I remember correctly, the regular non-sync input on a CP50 does not pass through the EQ cards at all.

Edit: to answer my own question, the SRA-5 manual says that the automation card is required.

[ 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-11-2009 06:41 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film/non sync button on the 50 will pass audio through but with no volume control or EQ.

You could use projector 2 optical if available. Regal does this on all their 55/65's to pass audio from alt. content. You would need to pad the input with a couple of resistors on the +/- of left and right. Easiest and cheapest way.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-2009 06:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with the 223 the audio goes through the eq and fader
another option is get the DTS relay board for a CP50/200 and break the B chain with it

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-11-2009 07:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind that pesky noise reduction thing getting in the way of the decode.

For those that do want to use projector 2 (which should be occupied by an actual projector, I say), use a pair of 47K resistors for EACH channel. That is, put one on + and one on - for each channel...then hook up any consumer -10dB (RCA) source and enjoy...your levels will be just about right. Works on any Dolby transformer or active balanced optical preamp.

Steve

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2009 05:05 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like the daughter board idea if i can find one... just to clarify, that will give me fader control and EQ but NOT noise reduction or Matrix?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: