Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thoughts after 1st booth time in 17 years (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Thoughts after 1st booth time in 17 years
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 08:29 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After taking nearly twenty years off from working in a theatre, I ran my first show a couple of weeks ago. We won't be finished with renovations until the end of this month, or the beginning of December, but we've been getting temporary certificates of occupancy for one offs. The first film-based event was a 24-hour horror marathon a couple of weekends ago.

Here are some general thoughts...

Having a rewind bench without dual drive control really blows. Plus, this bench has apparently been beaten with a ball peen hammer AND dropped from a two story building. 24-hours with this bench convinced me that I will order my Kelmar dual drive bench before we re-open.

I hate Simplex SH-1000 soundheads. The threading path is really awkward and time consuming. I'd love to replace these with 5-Stars.

Kinoton Spool Towers are great. To free up space for a second projector, we replaced a Christie platter with a spool tower. Ideally, I would purchased the over/under version, but we don't have the ceiling height. Even so, the side-by-side was a great investment.

Renting video projectors sucks. I hate blowing a grand for a day, when that money should go toward the purchase of a projector for "permanent" installation. Hopefully, a community development grant we're working on will allow us to purchase a projector. We have a 107' throw with a 12' tall, fixed width screen, though next spring we'll be replacing that with a 16' tall, fixed height screen. So, planning ahead, it's not an inexpensive purchase.

"Loose" splicers are rotten. I'm still waiting on a new splicer, so I ended up having to use the existing Neumade Splicemar. This thing needs a complete overhaul, which I'll do ASAP. I'll keep it around as a backup. I could swear they were using this to punch holes in sheet metal.

The lack of port frames and glass is an irritation and uncomfortable. I have enough heat building up in the booth without the heat from the auditorium bubbling through the ports into the booth.

Even with all of the above, it was just as fun as I remember.

-David

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 08:41 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David,
You did not get into a Digital booth. That is when the fun goes away [Frown]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2009 09:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David E. Nedrow
I hate Simplex SH-1000 soundheads. The threading path is really awkward and time consuming. I'd love to replace these with 5-Stars.

HA? You are joking are you not [Confused] ? You consider one extra sprocket to be awkwards? The 5 star is no where near the reproducer the SH-1000 is. 5 Stars typically have anywhere from 3 to 10 times the flutter level depending on the era of the 5 star. You have she same lateral guide roller in both reproducers. You can slso do sync motors on SH-1000s easily. I think if you ask any really knowledgable technician he would scoff at your statement!!

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-03-2009 10:20 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David E. Nedrow
You sure that's not the other way around? You can't get much simpler than an SH-1000.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 02:07 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are showing your time away from the booth worked to your detriment. Wanting a 5 star rather than an SH1000 is certainly going backwards.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2009 02:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob.
I'm glad you came here and cleared up the air!!!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 02:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am a sh-1000 person. Perhaps his are really really bad?? My remanufactured ones are just like new! (25 in stock) Louis

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Said, SH-1000 is a very good soundhead.
Would even take a RCA over a 5-Star.
Dick

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 03:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the XL version of the sh1000 as the pad roller assemblies were better built

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 06:01 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon;
Not much.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 06:53 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The majority of my soundhead service calls involve the 5 Star....a great income producer [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2009 10:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!... I said if he were to ask a really knowledgable technician.... now what the heck are all you guys doing around here [Wink] ??

I'll second that Richard! I stock at least a dozen of all the 5-Star bearings! Lots of them still in this area...

Mark

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2009 12:52 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least 60% of my Simplex repair time is consumed by 5 Stars. I thought I was the only one going through 5 star hell [puke]

I like the SH1000 pad roller arms, none of those crappy springs shooting out or sheared off pins.

The film path seems odd when your used to a 5 star; however, it seems simpler to me. I didn't know the vertical jitter specs were better on a SH1000, why is this?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2009 04:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...just keep the oil sump clean so you can see the oil level in the sight glass drop a bit with the brass gears swinging the oil around inside the transmission...

Dang! I love "4star" heads! I remember seeing my first 5star in the early 70's and wondered who designed this POS!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-04-2009 08:49 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon & Eric: On the "XL" version of the sh-1000, I enlarge the 3 screws that hold the bearing retainers to 10-32 Hollo-Krome and use locking nuts inside the oil bath. Strong and they won't move. I then slightly weaken the coil springs by removing a turn. They still hold the film, but they require less muscle. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: