Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » blurred image in one side of the screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: blurred image in one side of the screen
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 10:55 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a problem in one of my big screens, i canīt make the image look sharp, if i focus the subtitles ( remember im in mexico) the image looks blurred on top of the screen.

i tried the procedure y found here on tips.and also check the film gate but still the same [Confused]
im using a big sky console with a ernemann 15 projector.
thenks for your help.

mike morneo
mexico.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 11:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your projection booth much higher than the screen? If so, and the screen is not 'angled' toward the projector, you may have a keystoning problem.

When you're seeing a "square" image on the screen, like a building, do the sides of the building seem to flare out at the bottom? If so...that's the issue.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 11:45 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prints with laser-etched subtitles can be a pain to focus perfectly since the subtitles are not in the same plane of focus as the emulsion.

Getting a good compromise between the picture and the subtitles is difficult; a steep projection angle just makes things worse.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 12:31 AM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mike, yes the projection booth is too high and the screen is tilt back and i can see the keystone, but i have another screen exactly like this one and i dont have this problem.

jon, the subtitles are a pain in the... i dont know why sometimes they screw the movies with an ugly subtitle print. maybe they donīt care the latin american market.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 01:19 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this only on scope, or does it effect flat as well?

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can see theprobem in flat and scope. but is most perceivable in scope

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar problem with our 14 degree down angle and 38 meter throw. You almost have to focus on the subtitles because if they look out of focus it will be much more apparent and your customers will assume the whole picture is out of focus. Our French Film Festival patrons are extremely critical and are usually satisfied if the subtitles are sharp.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 07:36 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Moreno
the subtitles are a pain in the... i dont know why sometimes they screw the movies with an ugly subtitle print. maybe they donīt care the latin american market.
Focusing headaches aside, laser subtitling is the only efficient way I know of to get subtitling done for short print runs. I can't say it's about not caring about a particular market; it's about how to easily cater to a foreign market...and, yes, even in the USA where subtitled Asian, European and Latin American movies draw in big crowds at film festivals.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 07:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think the DTS CSS system would be cheaper if the print has timecode on it

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 09:17 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And that's a big “if”...in my dozen or so years of film festival work, I've seen only about four prints with DTS timecode, and only one with a DTS disc in the box.

With festival prints, to paraphrase Henry Ford, you can have any digital soundtrack you want as long as its Dolby Digital. [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 09:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked for trap and gate focus with RP40 by removal of aperture plate? the lenses could be not square with the projector and the whole system may not be square with the screen.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2009 12:57 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a recent problem or has it always been a problem since day one?

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2009 03:10 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think is a very old problem (since we opened) but at the beginin i didnt know anything about pojection booth.

i check taking out the film gate and using another and nothing.
and also use a RP40. i think that maybe can betha screen frame or maybe the projector is not really aligne with the center of the screen..... mmm i dont know [Confused]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2009 03:51 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike the problem is the laser subtitling and nothing else. We have the same issue in some theaters in Cyprus and unfortunately you can only compromise unless you find a way to shift the lens holder so it is not completely vertical with the film gate. A small shim will do the trick and you will gain a better focused picture. You are looking to tilt the lower part of the lens holder outwards but only a bit (a few milimeters are enough). Of course you will need to re-align the lenses then.
Demetris

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-04-2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have an E15 lens turret with the silver support post, it may be out of square to the film trap....the weight of the turret + lenses with a downward tilt could be an issue

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: