Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Altec Lansing 1698 monitor speaker

Author Topic: Altec Lansing 1698 monitor speaker
Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 04:12 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else had this happen? I just turned on the monitor and the foam between the diaphragm and the frame completely detached itself! Last time I turned it on it seemed fine, today, dead. At closer inspection the foam is incredibly brittle. Speaker is an altec lansing model #5385. What do I do now? [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 11-02-2009 05:46 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jarrett.

Sounds like you have a case of "foam rot". I have had many foam-surround drivers of all breeds suffer from this and the only remedy would be a recone with a doped surround cone preferably, or a foam one should the doped cone not be available. These are the ones with the latex (I think) covered corrugations around the cone itself.

Recone kits should be available fairly readily.

Cheers
Ian

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 11:01 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run into foam rot a couple of times so far. The last one looked like bugs had eaten the foam away leaving trails all through it. Since the voice coil usually deteriorates with use as well, I usually have the voice coil, cone and all replaced. There are several companies here in the lower 48 that rebuild speakers of all sizes and do a pretty good job. Dixie Speaker Repair Company in Birmingham, Alabama did the last one for me for less than a hundred bucks. The speaker was a 15 inch woofer.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 01:36 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes its "foam rot", you don't need a recone, just replace the foam with a similar foam. Many companies will do it for you or will supply you with a foam and glue to DIY. Foam is the best surround material but has the most limited lifespan. It is not recommended to use a longer lasting rubber surround replacements as this will change its response.

Altec speaker gear will have matched parts through great plains audio (.com) web page I suspect.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: