Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carmike and 35mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Carmike and 35mm
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 09:14 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A distributor told me that two weeks ago an edict came down from Carmike that they would no longer run any 35mm. Until now, they kept one 35mm screen in most of their houses.

Anyone seen or heard any confirmation of this?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 09:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is one way to limit what they can run

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, that's how I heard about it. We got a film because the distrbs digital budget was cut, so no digital of that particular film.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 10:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Carmike known for their savvy decisions and exceptionally run theatres?

If I were a company that owned a fleet of trucks and I only hired low paid drivers who keep damaging my trucks because they didn't know how and couldn't learn to drive a stick shift, but I still didn't want to spend the money to hire drivers who could drive stick shifts, then I would finally realise that the best thing to do was to just replace all my trucks with ones that had automatic trannys.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 10:34 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparantly one of the Patrick boys is going around bragging about how much money they are going to make building theatres with operatorless projection rooms.

They really the used car salesmen of the biz

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez... for what an operator brings to the party, is the position that expensive? Seems if that's enough to make a location profitable, it's probably not worth the effort.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Apparantly one of the Patrick boys is going around bragging about how much money they are going to make building theatres with operatorless projection rooms.
Because this has worked so well for them in the past [Wink]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack: that's my position exactly. Could it be that "good people" wouldn't work there to begin with? Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 12:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya. Kinda funny that if they would have paid one individual a good salary to be a booth manager, they could have saved millions in the long run instead of spending millions to earn pennies..

..oh well..can I steal a quote from Oscar Wilde on all of this?

quote:
What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
(...seems this the on-going trend nowdays in this industry...)

Really makes you wonder why some people don't have a clue in keeping their "resumes" looking good for the future..

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-02-2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
HA! Monte... great quote! Reminds me of the last place I was employed at!

quote: Louis Bornwasser
Could it be that "good people" wouldn't work there to begin with? Louis

Exactly Louis! I service a theater that once hired an ex- Carmike employee. When I was doing service work there he came up to me and told me he had worked for Carmike, how great they were and that he had lots of experience and so on. I told him that I was sorry he worked there and that it certainly doesn't give him any bragging rights. He only lasted about a month and left the location. The rest of the employees were glad when he left.

Mark

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 01:02 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To put that Oscar Wilde quote in practical industry theatrical terms, it's the mgmt. and concessioneer spending 10 minutes' time each to glue a popcorn bucket back together, because they could make $6 in a popcorn sale.

"Is there a shortage of popcorn buckets in the stockroom?" I ask, having come down for a refill on a beverage.

"No, but we can make $6 with this bucket here."

["Yeah, but you just dicked away $3.50 gluing it back together when you could've thrown it out and wasted less money filling out an idiotic report on the matter."]

"Oh, I see, OK."

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-02-2009 02:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if they really did do that...then there is the whole health liability. Odds are...if they are doing that they are stealing (selling the tub but pocketing the money). At the chain I started in, K-B, we had a "give away" system where each tub had a tear away number at the bottom. The idea was to get the customers to damage the tubs to ensure they were obviously used at that point and prevent resale.

Steve

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 03:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this has to do with what happened with Inglourious Basterds. Since they had at least one projector with film capabilities, they had to run Inglourious Basterds on 35mm. Haven't most Carmikes been converted do digital for 2+ years? Most locations probably didn't have any good projectionsists left.

I don't think having a 35mm backup is that important anymore. How many times has a hollywood movie not been available in digital? As was said in an earlier thread, Inglourious Basterds was available in digital, except the theater had to have all 35mm removed.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 03:46 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
So wait, were they actually PAYING a decent wage before?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they've had dedicated projectionists for a long, long time (at least here in). They will probably save a couple of hours a week on build-up and tear down. That should cover the cost of an all digital operatorless booth in about 1500 years [evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: