Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A70084 thyristor for Christie MUT speed control?

Author Topic: A70084 thyristor for Christie MUT speed control?
Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 08:00 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to resurrect a faulty speed controller from a Christie MUT. The controller is a KB Electronics KBVC-14, apparently an older design. Two of the four diodes are shorted, as is the thyristor.

Try as I might, I can't find a replacement for the Teccor A70084 thyristor...

-

Littelfuse/Teccor does not list that number on their website, and I cannot find a cross-reference.

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for the A70084, or is the part — and the controller — truly obsolete?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-31-2009 08:15 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some possible variations on that part number to search on:

A7-0084
A7 0084
A70-084
A70 084
A700 0084

I found that here. Could be a clue. Could be sales BS.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-01-2009 06:01 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of those speed controllers used a Quadrack rather than a Triac
Just get the highest voltage/current available in that package
If it was a quadrack which can be difficult to find put a Diac in serries with the Triacs gate lead

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2009 10:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, check the motor brushes and commutator! I don't even bother repairing/replacing the christie speed controller. I install the variac used on the SPECO platter into them. They never fail and it doesn't actually cost any more for the variac parts then it does for a new Christie speed board!! You just need the variac, a 40 amp bridge rectifier and a 4 amp push to reset circuit breaker. I also replace the wimpy light under the window with a screw in type socket that will accept a screw base flourescent 25 watter. Except for possibly the cable you'll never be making another repair to the table again.

Mark

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 11:51 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips! [thumbsup]

The Variac idea sounds great, Mark...next to finding the correct one, I just need to see if the theatre manager will go along with the idea.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-03-2009 06:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPECO uses the STACO 221-B variable transformer (Variac) for both the MUT and the Take-Up speed.

They are available from a great many places.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-03-2009 09:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, be sure to check commutator and motor brushes. Worn out brushes and or an arcing commutator are the main reasons those cards fail... aside from iddiott kids using the table incorrectly!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-26-2013 09:34 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1211 days since the last post.

Stefan Rees
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2013 09:34 PM      Profile for Stefan Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This comes probably a bit late, but can be used for general interest.
Our cotton candy machine broke down with a blown A70084, used in the heater control. After searching everywhere and unable to find anything, I contacted the manufacturer of the unit for some details. To my surprise, within 24 hours, I received the reply posted below. A new controller, without shipping and customs duty in Malaysia would have cost me US$ 350.00 A new Triac, bought from my supplier was a whopping US$ 7.00, a bargain!
Important seems to be that the part has an Isolated Tab.

Cheers,
Stefan

KB's reply:
The number A70084 is KB's inventory number and not the component manufactured part number. That is why you could not find a replacement part.

A70084 = Q2015L manufactured by Teccor. ( www.littelfuse.com )
However, this part is listed as obsolete on the website. Replaced By Q4015L5

You can also use Q4015L, Q2025L or Q4025L as a substitute for the Q2015L.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-26-2013 09:53 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could buy the correct KB part. I have many in stock. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: