Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DD CP650 Volume

Author Topic: DD CP650 Volume
Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 12:58 AM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

We're playing the Rocky Horror picture show for the next few nights. We couldnt get our hands on a 35mm print so we have permission to show a DVD copy of the film.

We're projecting it on the screen with a digital projector (duh) and running the sound into the Non-Sync 1 on our CP650.

With the sound set at max (10...we arent fortunate enough to have 11, "ONE LOUDER!") the sound in the auditorium just isnt quite loud enough.

How can I make it louder? ...line driver? or is there a setting in the CP650 that can increase volume with that input?

thanks [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-31-2009 01:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Under the front cover push up dipswitch 6.

Press the left of the three buttons repeatedly until you find the setting for Non Sync 1 level. (There will be noise in the auditorium as you do this.)

Adjust via the fader control.

Press OK.

Press NS.

TIP - make sure you are set to format 75 (I think it is 75) that will give you pro-logic decoding with subwoofer. You will pass that adjustment somewhere along the lines on your way to the above level setting.

TIP - before you jack with this, write down what the level WAS so you can put it back as soon as the show is over.

TIP - no matter how tempting the various options you may see as you do this appear, do NOT touch anything else. The odds are spectacularly in favor of you making the sound quality worse since you don't have the proper test equipment to calibrate the processor.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-31-2009 09:52 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Young
We couldnt get our hands on a 35mm print so we have permission to show a DVD
This has become a disturbing trend. Fox couldn't *find* a print, or just didn't feel like it?

The saddest thing of all is, I'll bet not one person in the audience noticed the difference.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-31-2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This time of year, I suspect the few playable Rocky Horror prints are held back for the regulars, and probably cost more than the DVD rights.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-31-2009 10:56 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is format 75 that will give you pro-logic decoding with subs. You can also hold that left button down and rotate the knob to find what you are looking for. Don't forget to push the OK button or it will not save the changes.

Matt Young
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 11:46 AM      Profile for Matt Young   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad!

I just went through and adjusted that and tried it, sounds 100% better

thanks again [thumbsup]

I've heard stories about some rocky horror prints and how terrible of shape they are in, missing chunks of film here and there, 26 different kinds of splicing tape randomly scattered through the print, etc... is this true?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 12:22 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, yes it is true. I have run a couple different prints of this over the year and they were all in pretty rough shape. At one theatre we ran it once a month so they let us hold one print on site. Myself and the GM spent three hours going through the entire print by hand on the rewind bench re-making every single splice and fixing every torn sprocket hole. Even after all this the print was still only barely runnable.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 04:55 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be better if you had a DVD player with 6 channel coaxial pre out? You could input directly on the external 6 channel analog input of the DD650, format 11 and have Digital Sound without the crappy prologic thing.
Demetris

EDIT: Sorry just to make clear. Coaxial I mean analogue audio out discrete for each channel

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-31-2009 08:01 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rocky Horror Picture Show is from the mid-70s, so a 35mm print will have optical mono only. I think there were some 35mm mag prints as well, but I would be surprised if you could find any of these prints, and I would be even more surprised if Matt's theater has the equipment to play back the sound.
So ProLogic from a DVD is adequate.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-31-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are Dolby prints from the early 1990s. (I don't remember if these are A or SR). I don't know what is in the current inventory. The "purists" supposedly don't like the Dolby mix.

I have run this film a few times in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Once, I got a near-perfect print from a theatre that shows it weekly and somehow managed to get a new print, even though their old one was fine. The other times, I have had prints that were obviously worn, but not total disasters.

Tip: if you have a CP650 with (if I remember correctly) the EX option, you can use the coaxial digital output from the DVD player in format 80. This removes the need for a DVD player with 6-channel discrete output or a DMA8.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 09:31 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "re-issue" prints are SR, we had one back recently and it was without a doubt the worst print I had handled ever. I repaired 9 splices on the head of reel one and then gave up.

In this circumstances i would have shown the DVD over the print if I had had the choice....

quote: Scott Norwood
Tip: if you have a CP650 with (if I remember correctly) the EX option, you can use the coaxial digital output from the DVD player in format 80
Yeah, you need the CAT 790 board

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-31-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cat 790, Cat 791 and the Cat 794 board will allow decoding of a DVD but WATCH OUT...

The CP650 does NOT do a pro-logic decode of AC3 sources...just PCM tracks. Thus, if you have a 2/0 Dolby Digital DVD...the CP650 will just fire up Left and Right! A DMA8 will give one the choice of how to decode that source (or other 2 channel sources).

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-31-2009 11:46 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or in that case, if you have 2.0 AC3 only, you just plug the analog 2-ch out from the DVD player - which it will of course have, no matter what DVD player it is - into nonsync anyway and proceed as before, with ProLogic decoding of the 2 channels.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-01-2009 12:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
The "purists" supposedly don't like the Dolby mix.
I am one of those. [Wink] The stereo mix made all the songs sound like they do on the "soundtrack" album, so it comes off as just another music video.

However, the original mono mix was made to sound like the characters were really singing it live -- with changes in vocal track "centering" and presence to reflect camera POV on edits, and the apparent reverberation of the settings. It was fantastic!

It wouldn't have been difficult to translate the original approach into a stereo mix, but I'm sure they were just kowtowing to the audience - most of whom had known the album/CD by heart.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 12:46 AM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
The CP650 does NOT do a pro-logic decode of AC3 sources...just PCM tracks. Thus, if you have a 2/0 Dolby Digital DVD...the CP650 will just fire up Left and Right! A DMA8 will give one the choice of how to decode that source (or other 2 channel sources).

THANK YOU, seriously, I thought it was something I was doing wrong. Does this not strike you as absolutley bizzare given that its their frigging matrix system to start off with?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: