Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reading Drives for DTS6D

Author Topic: Reading Drives for DTS6D
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2009 11:17 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know they are not available any more from DTS. Can 3 Off the street CDROM readers do the job?
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-28-2009 11:39 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't available through DTS? I thought that the 6D was still supported. [Confused] You could try Quality Presentations in NYC, as they support the older DTS-6 units.

The drives in the 6D are 50-pin SCSI drives, and they need to be below a certain speed (16x?) in order to function properly. The slower models may no longer be manufactured, but you might be able to find some NOS drives, or salvage them from some mid/late-1990s computers. I don't remember if they all need to be the same type or speed, but that is probably a good idea in any case.

There is (was?) an upgrade kit from DTS which allows the use of IDE drives, which are more readily available new.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2009 11:42 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. DTS6D has been officialy discontinued from support besides the interface boards. I need to check.
Demetris

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-28-2009 01:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS players are being converted to DVD drives via a kit. The upgrade kits are sold by Computer Spirit, Westlake Village, CA at 805 373-5107. I just installed upgrade kits in one of my theatres and they work like a champ. I also got a replacement DVD drive for a CSS unit directly from DTS not three weeks ago, although they were very slow to ship.

Scott, there is an IDE adapter board that comes affixed to the back of the new DVD drives in the upgrade kit.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-28-2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time we ordered any drives for a 6D they sent DVD drives. The XD10 also uses DVD drives. You might be able to get some from DTS by stating you need them for an XD10. Now if you do that they will only send two so that may not be the best option. I don't remember having to update anything in the 6D to use the DVD drives. I believe the drives are the pioneer or teac brand.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2009 02:12 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim for the tip but any leads in Europe?

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2009 05:27 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact the datasatdigital office formerly DTS at: eutechsupport@datasatdigital.com They should be able to assist you in getting the correct drives.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2009 04:28 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basicly 6D I ahve here is 486 PC....can I put inside PCI board with IDE interface and plug new IDE DVD's to it? Now is PCI board with SATA interface and SATA drives....I think this should work fine?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-29-2009 05:04 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD upgrade kit involves a new EEPROM chip, new controller, and software update.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-29-2009 09:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The long and the short of it is the SCSI drives are very specific which ones will work
When the SCSI device communicates to the controller it identifies itself and only certain drives are in the DTS controlers will accept
Also with the faster drives the aquilla board is required
The SCSI bridge effectively converts a IDE drive into a SCSI device with accepted paramiters for it to work
The scsi bridge requires the adaptec or the photonics scsi board and the aquilla

An IDE controler card plugged into the mother board will not work

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: