Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » uses for different sprocket and pad roller types

Author Topic: uses for different sprocket and pad roller types
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-19-2009 11:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Century projectors in my screening room were built in 1970 and have CS-type sprockets. I assume that these are original to the machines (they had been lightly used when I got them a few years ago). They work fine with KS-perf film. They also have plastic pad rollers.

[side question: when ordering a new projector, is one given a choice of sprocket types?]

I see that one can purchase VKF, CS, "standard," and "posi-trol" sprockets. Also, both metal and plastic pad rollers are available.

What are the relative advantages of each sprocket type? Why would one choose one type over another (other than CS sprockets for CS-perf prints)? And which pad roller type (plastic vs. metal) is preferred?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-19-2009 02:26 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I wouldn't even consider CS sprockets today. VKF (Very Kind to Film), have teeth which are a better fit to the perf, and I think they will also handle CS perfs, too. Not sure about specifics of Positrols...

Nylon pad rollers don't require lubrication - you only have to make sure the shaft is clean and dry.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the literature I've seen, positrol sprockets have a wider sprocket on one side that improves horizontal stability by completely filling the perf. The VKF sprockets are wider than CS sprockets (the VKF-2 wider still), and have radiused edges.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2009 03:09 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

I can assure you that VKF intermittent sprockets WILL DAMAGE the CS perfs.

A film festival at our theatre did not exchange the VKFs for the CS intermittent sprockets and destroyed a full reel of mag 35mm.
The VKFs are a snug fit in the holes of standard prints so they would tear open CS sized holes.

KEN [Frown]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-19-2009 04:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm thinking of the first-issue VKFs... seems like I remember one of their selling points was that they would work with Fox holes? This was late 70s, of course.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2009 04:45 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the published dimensions, the VKF sprockets should fit CS perfs so long as it's not badly shrunken. Positrols look like they'd make a big mess out of CS perfs, though.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-19-2009 05:13 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether you go the C/S, VKF or Positrol sprockets would surely depend on whether you either intend (or are equipped) to run Foxhole mag/mag-opt prints. If you dont have the intention of running foxhole, then go the VKF or Positrol route. They generally run quieter anyway.

Cheers
Ian

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2009 06:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its the other way round. You can't use Posi-Trol sprockets with CS type perfs at all!!! It'll ruin the print. VKF, especially the latest gestation VKF-2 work well as long as the print is not badly shrunken. If it is then use CS type sprockets.

I ran Positrol sprockets on all my dailies projectors Centurys) and the image from them is lke it's nailed up on the wall. They remove the last vestage of lateral film movement completely. You can remove all the lateral guidance rails (which really do nothing at all anyway) and just use the lateral guide roller by itself. One side of the sprocket teeth are full fitting and copntrol the lateral movment of the film. The sprocket hole is also the best place to do the controling of the film. If you are running an old Super Simples the image can actually be frighteningly dead steady... The old Super Simplex and E-7 movements were the best of the best ever produced. Too bad the rest of the projector was so-so. If you run Positrols I reccomend the MNR4-22(?) LaVezzi steel pad rollers that have the oilite bushings in the ends. Aside from lasting really long the groove better matches the wide Positrol tooth.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-19-2009 10:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Now I am more confused.

I have no intention of running anything with CS perfs. I also had no intention of changing out my sprockets when I started this thread, but would consider it if someone can explain exactly why CS sprockets are not a good choice when running KS-perf prints.

I guess the source of my confusion is that there are at least four different types of sprockets for these machines, and I am curious as to the typical application for each.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-20-2009 03:39 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott.

If this were my Screening room, here is what I would use.

If there was any chance of C/S Mag-mag opt fox hole prints to be run, I'd go with the C/S sprockets. Im assuming here that these would be older, original prints anyway.

Of course, the majority of 35/70mm machines will come equipped with C/S 35mm sprockets as standard.

If there was any chance of running older, shrunken prints with standard KS sprocket holes, VKF sprockets would be my choice.

If there were only new prints or new archive prints from original negs, then Id go with the Positrol.

But for a general, all round solution for the majority of prints available, then the VKF would be my choice.

C/S sprockets on the whole aren't really "bad" for KS holes, it's just the wider VKF and Positrol tooth spreads the driving load over a wider area of the sprocket hole, thereby theoretically reducing potential print damage.

I hope this helps. I'm sure that the others will chime in with their personal preferences.

Cheers
Ian

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2009 03:53 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all boils down to what kind of prints you will be running. Century's have less of a problem with shrunken film because of their 16 tooth sprockets and only one pad roller per sprocket.

VKF sprockets were designed to run mag with no problems. Tim is correct. The problem here is shrunken film especially mag. VKF's don't work here with XL 24 tooth sprockets and two pad rollers. The VKF II and Positrol sprockets will not run mag at all. I do run mag and other older films and did replace my VKF's in my XL's and RCA soundheads with new C/S sprockets. No problems since.

Suggestions:
Only new prints - VKF, VKF II, or Positrol
All around no old mag - VKF
Everything - VKF or C/S

LaVezzi metal pad rollers are the best but require some maintainance. Machined PVC rollers will work fine as long as the shaft is kept clean.

I think all new machines come from the factory with VKF or
VKF II sprockets.
Dick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: