Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AW3 Removable Brain Kit Info Needed

Author Topic: AW3 Removable Brain Kit Info Needed
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2009 10:17 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got two locations that have Christie AW-3's with non
removable brains. I know that there is a removable brain
conversion kit available, but I seem to be coming up empty
handed in the the online searches I've tried.

So my question is:
1) Does anyone know the part # and source for the
conversion kits?
2) A ballpark price for same.

Thanx- JimC

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-18-2009 11:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The part number you are looking for is 003-000545-01. The current list price (as of June 2009) is $980.00. Naturally, street prices are going to be notably less but that is between you and your dealer.

Steve

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2009 11:34 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve-
Thanks for the info.
One more ?uestion about the price:
Is that per platter deck, Or does one
kit convert all 3 platters? Thanx.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-18-2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that converts all three decks. But I don't think you get any centerfeeds themselves with it. Those are you would need to purchase separately.

Steve

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2009 01:53 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from making prints easier to move, what really is the advantage of converting from fixed payout feeds to removable ones?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-18-2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the big one. Work on the feed plates is easier for cleaning and parts replacement also. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-18-2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, having removable brains, you can use a "pizza" board to scoop prints and not scaring up the deck surfaces with clamps, let alone banging into the brains when doing print moves if they're permanent.

One can board a print by making a board with a large cutout in the middle to clear the brains while scooping, but that makes the sides rather weak to hold the prints unless you use a thicker stock of plywood.

-Monte

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2009 02:35 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slide 2 pieces of 1x6 under the plywood, use them as handles, pick it up and go.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2009 06:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or just put a dolly under the platter and move the whole platter. [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-19-2009 09:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
put a dolly under the platter and move the whole platter
..esp when you have to move 3 plus hour prints.. [Big Grin]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-20-2009 06:30 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do this all the time in the shop when we are remanufacturing used platters. One floor jack and away you go. Even better if it is already on a pallet. Louis

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2009 10:04 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I ordered these kits, they each came with one feed plate and three axles.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Or just put a dolly under the platter and move the whole platter.
LOL! HA- that made my day! I'd share that with my boss but he'd
probably think it was a good idea and make me start doing that!
I don't need to pop my umbillical herna again!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: