Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » BACP DSTR 2000 led current adjustment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: BACP DSTR 2000 led current adjustment
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 07:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there any? or do i just need to replace the led's? i can't get dolby tone!

p.s. mine is the version for the FP-20

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 08:14 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a new unit or has it been in service for a while?

First make sure the optics are clean as well as the LED it self.

If its a new unit and you're not able to get an initial Dolby level (assuming you're trained how to do an A-Chain) then there is a set of jumpers you can cut on the main circuit board on the reader to increase the voltage.

If this is a unit that has been in service for a while and was correctly set up by your service tech and he/she achieved Dolby tone without cutting those jumpers, then your LED is probably nearing the end of its life cycle.

I am also assuming that you're using the supplied non-variable power supply that shipped with the unit.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-13-2009 08:21 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should *always* be able to reach Dolby level *easily* with a new BACP reader. The jumpers are only meant to be cut after the LEDs have exceeded a certain lifespan.

On the FP20, it is quite possible that the LED holder is rotated and so the light from the LEDs does not hit the lens properly.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 08:39 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
The jumpers are only meant to be cut after the LEDs have exceeded a certain lifespan.
Do you reconnect them when you install new LED's?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-13-2009 09:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could have oil in the lens itself. For I also have a "20" unit doing the same thing.

I swapped LED modules from one house to the other and I did get some of my Dolby Tone back up. Thus suspecting I've got a oil filled camera tube that is causing my levels not to be up where they should be.

..and my jumpers have already been cut.

All LED units do fade after awhile .. if your system is over 7 yrs old, I bet you could use a replacement LED, or to make it tons more easy but a bit more on the dollar.. some new modules.

I wouldn't worry on redoing the jumpers after LED replacement - just adjust your preamp accordingly since the PC board that the jumpers are on doesn't have the exact space to work in.

-Monte

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 01:13 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You all get an A from the teacher.

It is however and RSTR-2000 not a DTSR 2000. The card has a DC to DC convertor so the input voltage is not very critical. 9 to 12 Volts is fine.

The cutting of the links increases the audio gain of the circuit as well as the background noise by 6 dB. Dolby wanted the electronics to be as quiet as possible, so the gain links were a way to optimize this.

The FP20 LED assembly is unique as there was almost no room for the LED so it is held in place with thermal heat paste, and is not plug and play like most other models.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2009 01:14 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Michael,
Check whether the actual bracket which holds the LED assembly has rotated downwards for some reason (someone aplied pressure or it was not tight enough). The easies way to do it is have Dolby Tone loop running and rotate that bracket until you have the brightest signal level LEDs on the FP20 circuit board. These readers aling like a charm.
Demetris

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2009 01:19 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't cut any of the jumpers on the 6 units I have. I just replace the LED when I'm not able to reach tone any longer. I would think that if you cut the jumpers just for a faded LED and then put in new ones later it would shorten the new LEDs life or am I thinking incorrectly that cutting those jumpers increases the voltage to the LED? or do they just boost the signal without increasing LED brightness?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 04:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
question:
quote: Jeremy Weigel
or do they just boost the signal without increasing LED brightness?

answer...:
quote: Sam D. Chavez
cutting of the links increases the audio gain of the circuit
LED voltage remains the same... hope this helps

If you got tired LED's it's best to replace the entire module. If you take a module out and look at it from the back side, it would be a pain to desolder and resolder the LED back on that ribbon strip.

So, basically what Sam is hinting at, is, (for us that have our jumpers snipped) - to make things quieter: redo the jumpers after replacing the module. - Monte

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a little flat screwdriver slot on the LED arm to ease in moving the LED arm. If you need to move the arm, loosen the Philips screws holding the arm very slightly while running Dolby tone and move the arm up and down watching the Dolby tone meter to make sure you are at maximum level

It's LED current, not voltage as an LED is a constant voltage drop across it while the current varies. Small but important detail.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 12:18 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just installed a pair of DTSR-20 on my Kinotons, pics to come soon. Minor threadjack if I may: Sam, I need to switch the LED's on those DTSR-20's..which is better: switch before the LED power board or after? (The processor will be on 24/7 and I don't want to run the LED's if I'm not running film.)

Back to our regular scheduled program:

I second the suggestion by Sam to use the screwdriver slot to gently raise and lower the LED to get Dolby tone. Especially if the loss of level came on suddenly, it means the arm was bumped out of position, a design flaw of the projector itself not the reader. I have had service calls on Kinotons where the solar cell was bumped out of line by ham-fisted operators.

If you have access to a RTA and some Dolby CAT 566 Illum. Uniformity film, run that too to make sure the full LED array is still working.

Try that before replacing the LED or cutting jumpers. And also re-solder the jumpers after an LED change, it isn't impossible if you're patient and have a fine-tip soldering iron.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-14-2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does the output on the RSTR compare with a solar cell? What about when the jumpers are cut?

I had to cut both in a setup with a Kelmar mono system to approximate the output of the old solar cell (after adjusting the LEDs to maximize output, as described above). This needed to be done for both projectors (changeover booth). Is something else wrong here, or is this normal?

I've not cut the jumpers in any setup with a Dolby processor, and can hit Dolby level with no problem, although the cat. 240A has a much wider gain adjustment range than the Kelmar.

I've installed a few of these and have not had to replace the LEDs, although all are in venues that run film only occasionally.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you need to move the arm, loosen the Philips screws holding the arm very slightly while running Dolby tone and move the arm up and down watching the Dolby tone meter to make sure you are at maximum level

Thx for this tip since some of us didn't know this trick. Dang, where is that old 'filament image on the card' trick when you need it.

-Monte

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 01:35 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screwdriver slot is only on the FP20 version

The LED should be interrupted after the board.

As to low output on the Kelmar; there is a solar cell loading resistor across the Kelmar as in most mono systems that is no longer required. Once you do this the output will come way up.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-14-2009 10:55 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to low output on the Kelmar; there is a solar cell loading resistor across the Kelmar as in most mono systems that is no longer required.
One would hope that mono systems as such are no longer required!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: