Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm rollers for ORC platter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 35mm rollers for ORC platter
Brian Jupp
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 03:23 AM      Profile for Brian Jupp   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Jupp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a number of rollers that need to be replaced on our ORC platter. We have contacted Strong and they don't produce them any more - they are sending us the few they have remaining in stock. Does anyone know if there is another source for these rollers? We don't need the bearings, as they can be reused from our old rollers. As you can see from the pictures they came as halves. The complete rollers are 2 1/2" in diameter, 1 3/4" wide, and the hole for the bearing is 5/8". Worse case scenario is we get a similar sized roller with the hole in the middle of the bearing that is 1/4" in size to fit over our existing shafts on the platter system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-13-2009 03:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
SPECO rollers will fit on those shafts I do believe.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 08:46 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago I did a complete take up roller conversion of many late 1980s ORC platters (the original rollers were wearing down and scratching film) - it has been so long but I do think the rollers were from SPECO and the included bearings fit the shafts just fine, but we had to get spacers to accomodate the difference in how the bearings were spaced(I think SPECO provided those too).

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-13-2009 09:39 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say that one set of ORCs that our company uses had some Christie rollers installed to replace some bad rollers. It's extremely bizarre to look at a crappy ORC and see blue rollers.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-13-2009 02:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though rollers are not a problem, it is time to retire anything not supported. Although factory support is ideal; when something is not supported by anyone, it is obsolete.

Ironically, the OLDER ORC platters are supported fairly well by Potts since Potts made them. The newer ones are now obsolete. Louis

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 06:29 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Obsolete" is a needlessly-charged word, Louis.

While scarcity of parts is not ideal, surely you aren't advocating throwing out perfectly-good platters because they have bad rollers that are difficult to source.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-13-2009 07:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the platers we have the least grief comes form the mid adged ORCs the ones with the servopots and a variac in the base

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-13-2009 11:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Ironically, the OLDER ORC platters are supported fairly well by Potts since Potts made them. The newer ones are now obsolete.
Louis, which are the older ones? The brown trees or the "Stupid platter" knockoff with the orange trees?

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-14-2009 12:42 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming he means he orange Super Platters. I thought that those came first and then Super Platter split off and made them blue. Am I wrong?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 03:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The orange ORC's were really early Potts platters. As such there is a commonality on important parts. (motors, brackets, variacs, feed out plates, takeup rings.) The rollers are not available, but the smaller Potts rollers work just fine. It is probably possible to replace ALL of them.

The later ORC's and all other ORC products are long obsolete and replacemnt should be considered especially with really good used equipment "on-the-street." Louis

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2009 06:11 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an excellent response, Louis, not only disregarding my retort, but doubling the ante by reiterating the same needlessly charged vocabulary.

Top notch. [Razz]

Way to respond with an intelligent reason as to why ORC platters of the later build are "obsolete" or "inferior. . ."

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-14-2009 08:18 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Newbie picks fight with established and respected member. Wackiness ensues.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly makes his statement "charged" yet alone "needlessly so"? In my dictionary, obsolete can simply mean that it is no longer in use or rarely in use (and incidentally, not having available parts would tend to indicate that this had happened).

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where the hell is Security? [Roll Eyes]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-14-2009 10:11 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Book him, Danno".

But as an aside, how difficult would it be to retro-fit the ORC's with more modern control gear,rollers &tc assuming that time is more readily available than cash? I am in the position of inheriting the ORC Maxi platters and am considering this approach.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: