Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Intermission (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Intermission
Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Vic 5 with the 12000 ft spools fixed to the plinth so any film over 2 hrs I have to put a intermission in it. When I showed Harry Potter 6 on its release date I was sent from Warner Bros a intermission segment especially designed in the same wording as the Harry Potter font used in the film. This is quite rare i have been told. Has anyone else been sent intermission film from distribitors?

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they also tell you where to pause the film for the intermission?

-Claude

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they did in a letter with the film.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 06:01 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had one sent to us in Belgium for Harry 5.

Every film played there in a town called Genk, regardless of its length, breaks for an intermission.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 06:24 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some prints of Pirates 3 in the UK had an intermission card. I can't think of anything else recently. The reason someone (very low down) at Disney gave me when I asked was it was based on responses from test screenings that the film was too long. My then work didn't play the film, that was a relaxing week!

Do distributors tell you where to break the film even if they don't supply an intermission card?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 07:21 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone want to enlighten us unlucky Americans where the intermissions are supposed to go on these films?

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Inglourious Basterds, Universal sent me a letter to put the intermission after reel 4. Mostly its only when i get a film on release date that i recieve info for where to put the intermission. On second run films i dont hear a dicky bird. So I stick it after reel 4 mostly or reel 5 for 9/10 reel films like Australia.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-16-2009 08:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why the film companies think that other countries' projectionists/managers can "handle" intermissions while we Americans can't? I wish they would at least give us the option.

I would like to see NATO start some kind of an initiative that any movie over 140 minutes long must have an intermission.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-16-2009 08:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, I'd like to see just one initiative that NATO actually follows through on at all!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-17-2009 01:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, dump the platter and get a tower or a mutt. Then they'll have no say in it.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-17-2009 07:42 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the ego of the American filmmakers -- they think breaking up their incredibly artistic masterpiece with an intermission "dilutes" their "creative intent" and somehow harms the "integrity" of their great film....like their 2 and a half hours of many times questionable entertainment is akin to life or death brain surgery.

So basically they are saying, they only really care that Americans get to see their gift to mankind in it's pure, uncompromised form -- the rest of the world, well, their friends won't be catching the movie in Karzakistan, so who cares? as long as they look good here. You know, no one else on the planet is sophistocated enough to appreciate artistic integrity except the Hollywood elite.

Oh ya, and then there is that other issue that it certainly would help exhibition if there were more films with intermission since intermissions = increase concession sales. But distribution doesn't get a cut from concessions sales so the idea of them helping out their exhibitor "partners" is, well, [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Every single American release that plays in India is sent over there with a built in intermission. Any F-T members from India? Maybe we can tap them to relay back info as to where the intermission goes on those over 2 & 1/2 titles. Uploading a .jpg file of a single intermission frame would be nice too -- lots of us could use the preshow gack projector to put the intermission title on the screen. Or would the studios claim that's copyright infringment? I bet Disney would.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FRANK WROTE:

"It's the ego of the American filmmakers -- they think breaking up their incredibly artistic masterpiece........"

MIKE WRITES:

That's a good one. [Big Grin] Most films that Hollywood makes are less than stellar. I havent'e seen a trully worthy one in over a decade.

Mike Croaro

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-17-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every Indian film I've played had an intermission including a film that was only 5 reels and 86 minutes long.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-17-2009 10:23 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup -- it's part of their culture. And I understand their intermissions are much longer than we would have here. That's been the case for Bollywood productions and they insist that American imports have that mid break as well or the audience would be REALLY upset.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2009 10:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a small 3-cinema circuit in north-central Montana that had intermissions in every film. They would just stop after the 3rd reel, no matter what was going on. I like intermissions, but that's just wrong.

The owner of that circuit has died and his wife sold two of the three theatres to a slightly larger chain (Polson Theatres), which discontinued the intermissions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: