Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinerama Aussie style in the backyard (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinerama Aussie style in the backyard
Mark Nicol
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2009 06:48 AM      Profile for Mark Nicol   Email Mark Nicol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if John Mitchells backyard Cinerama in Sydney Australia has been posted on Film-Tech before.

I stumbled across this link trying to find info on his operation and was amazed at the photos of his setup.

Any other info about John would be most appreciated.

http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/images/a17/cinerama/cinerama.html

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-09-2009 07:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've known of John's setup for quite a long time. I still find it very sad that it's stuck showing in his back yard... deserves a better place than that...

Mark

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2009 07:16 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love those massive mags for the Cinerama reels! very cool

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2009 07:54 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, now that is a shed!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-09-2009 01:10 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like he's got the three projectors in one booth -- is it possible to do it like that without prisms ala Cinemiracle?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2009 02:43 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, many of the later CINERAMA installations used only one booth without the CINEMIRACLE mirrors. CINERAMAHISTORY.COM has some pictures of the Columbus site that show the setup. I don't think these installations used a control engineer outside the booth, but I may be mistaken.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
It looks like he's got the three projectors in one booth -- is it possible to do it like that without prisms ala Cinemiracle
Well as I am in some of the photos and have obviously been there (along with many exerienced sydney based projectionists) I guess I'll try to give you some answers.

I first heard of the Cinerama BYT in the late 1980's. The backyard screen is made of three pannels and probably only around the 25ft mark wide, therefore the projectors spacing is pretty much as it should be in that scale. Obviously you are pretty close to the screen. Both the sound and picture are awesome!

John Mitchel has also bought or modified some cinerama cameras and that night was trying to incorperate his first test with the cameras into the show. The cinerama prints are unfortunatly starting to show their age. He has most if not all the 3 stripe films in his collection.

quote:
Wow, now that is a shed!
It looks like a normal mild mannered garage from the road!

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2009 07:27 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the New Neon in Dayton when John Harvey received some 3-strip test footage. He ran it after the regular Cinerama screening. It was footage of a large cable car with some nice scenery. It was quite a thrill to see the first 3-strip footage shot in 50 years. I think John Mitchell also provided John H. with some new footage from the Kinopanorama film JOYFUL RACING CORNERS. I couldn't understand what was going on, but it was great fun to watch. I'm glad to know John M. still has his 3-strip setup and is helping to keep CINERAMA alive.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
is it possible to do it like that without prisms ala Cinemiracle?

The first Cinemiracle installations used front surface mirrors for the outboard projectors. I believe later installs dispensed with the mirrors and used the lateral lens adjustments on the Century projectors for fine tuning.
Bob

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2009 02:42 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard of the mythical backyard cinerama in Australia but had never seen actual photos of it. Very cool! [thumbsup]

I've seen the new three strip prints of How the West was Won and This is Cinerama in Los Angeles, and later saw Search for Paradise and Windjammer in Seattle at the Seattle Cinerama in 2003. I think I heard mentioned that the Windjammer print, possibly the Search for Paradise were loaned from John Mitchell. Both were pretty faded and when I was in one of the booths when Windjammer was being set up, it smelled strongly of vinegar. The photos of the AMC Cinerama posted in the pictures section are those I took back in 2003.

Mark Nicol
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 06:53 AM      Profile for Mark Nicol   Email Mark Nicol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your info on John, Cameron how lucky you were to be there!

Now if we could only get Paul Allen interested.....

Cheers

Mark

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-13-2009 03:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One night I was there we also managed to watch 'The Last Valley' in 70mm...

in his living room. [thumbsup]

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 04:59 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One night I was there we also managed to watch 'The Last Valley' in 70mm...

in his living room. [thumbsup]

We need photos of that.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-13-2009 10:37 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps one day I can have an IMAX in my backyard. [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-13-2009 10:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, won't be long and there'll be some cheap projectors on the second-hand market.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: