Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ealy model Strong X60 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ealy model Strong X60
Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2009 06:10 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone on the forum familiar with the first edition of the Strong X60 lamphouse? I was in contact with Strong to ascertain wether the capacitors in the unit were dry or liquid filled, and if the capacitors are liquid filled, if the oil contained PCBs. The answer I received was brief and direct: the equipment was obsolete! The lamp is quie servicable, but before I undertake any restoration effort on the unit, I would like to determine the hazard of the capacitors,if in fact they present any.
Thanks,
Don Brown

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-03-2009 07:51 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this matters so much to you, just replace them. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2009 11:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are oil filled they most likely contain PCBs!! You need only worry if they are leaking the oil. Almost all oil filled caps from this era contian PCBs. If you can't confirm it one way or the other and as long as they are NOT LEAKING just replace them.... it's a very good lampenhousen! It is not obsolete... It just shows you the lack of care for customers that Wrong International has.... they don't give a crap!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 04:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original X60 was a vertical lamp and the first horizontal version had a very shallow reflector that did not produce a lot of light
Once the deep glass version came out they are excellent

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2009 08:37 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
The original X60 was a vertical lamp and the first horizontal version had a very shallow reflector that did not produce a lot of light

I think the X60 was always a horizontal lamphouse. The X16 was vertical.
Bob

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 01:41 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The X60C was the best of the lot with deep dish reflectors

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the X16 look like a Peerless lamphouse, just without knobs and a rear door that can be opened?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 01:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The X60's were commonly upgraded to use the same reflector that is used for the Ultra 80 and Super 80 making them identical optically.

Even the old ones can be wonderful if they are electrically OK. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 03:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The x16 was a 2500 watt max
We have the original glass reflectors and 6KWburner assemblies for the X60 verticals that were used at cinesphere originally

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 07:30 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The C was the last of the glass reflectors and is why I liked it best. The X60D and everything Strong after that had metal reflectors.

I put two used C's in the Dolby SF screening room. Still running today. I found spare glass reflectors just in case.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-05-2009 08:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, the X60C marked the end of the 220V igniters for Strong too.

Steve

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-05-2009 11:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the housing strangely resembled a Futura... [Wink] [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-06-2009 09:46 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is correct about the 220v igniters. The "replacement" igniter is a 120v igniter, a bracket, and a 220v to 120v transformer. The actual igniter IS from a Super 80. Louis

Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2009 09:52 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off the subject perhaps, but does anyone have experience with using osram lamps vs.superior quartz in the x60c? thanks.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2009 12:38 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Ushios in our X60C's, no problems, long hours.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: